Chapter Three ~Katy~

My dream was a nightmare. I couldn't help but squirm, it was so scary! One moment I was having fun, the next my parents were dead. J and I were in the forest with Sue. J and I turn our backs for one minute and Sue is dead! Then J dies and they're coming after me. Those people who never got to the palace because they lost their map making a fire. They hunt down other people who are on their way to the palace. They are called The Hunters Of The Black Table or THOTBT. I read it in a book I found in my dad's study.

  I heard the sound of voices and heard people walking. It sounded like Jewel's footsteps.

  I really hated some of my dreams. They became so real. Maybe I see the future, the past, and the present? One time, I saw my parents young before my sister and I were born. Another time I saw my sister and I getting these necklaces. Just now, I saw Sue getting killed. I hope that last one isn't true.

  I woke up hearing J say, "I can't wake her up!"

  Then Sue said,"She just woke up."

  I started to get up. "What's that smell? It smells good," I said. Then I blinked a few times.

"I'm cooking,"J said. "Do you mind putting some water in this bowl so I can make cocoa?" J asked.

I snapped out of sleepiness and looked at J. "Cocoa?" I asked. Man, I was thirsty.

"Yup. Sue showed me an oasis," said J.

"Nice fire. It's warmer than mine." That was true. I made a ball of water and poured it in the bowl. J handed me one side of the cocoa nut and I started dropping them in the bowl along with J.

"Yeah. I used my powers. It seems to be warmer than actual fire," J said smiling. I smiled and continued peeling.

  J took the birds off of the spit and placed them in our two bowls, giving me the bigger one. J started peeling the bananas as I watched the cocoa cook. I slowly stirred it every thirty seconds. J placed the sliced up bananas in our bowls and helped me pour the cocoa.

"Dig in!" J said happily. She handed Sue a banana and she greedily ate it.

I didn't quite like the bird but at least it was something.

  Sue flew away after she finished and I washed the wooden dishes as J cleaned up the spit and kept the fire going. I stacked the plates next to the spit. It was a bit creepy outside.

"Tent?" I suggested. J nodded.

  We started to weave grass by firelight. J finished the roof and I started the blankets. I saw J struggling and I left the blankets and helped finished the tent. We moved it closer to the fire. J made a little perch for Sue with her knife and some wood.

  I hoped Sue was okay.

  We didn't want to sleep, so we waited for Sue. I heard a high-pitched screech.

  J grabbed her knife and I followed with my sword. I stopped after I saw all the food. It was like heaven!

  J rushed over to Sue who was on the ground. Oh, no! My dream! It became real!

"Sue! Sue! What happened?" asked J.

"They knew I wasn't a regular bird. They know there are humans here. Go back to camp and be ready to-to figh... Fight..." Sue, the bird, that I came to consider family, breathed her last breath and fell asleep for eternity. I saw J starting to cry. I wanted to cry too, but I shouldn't. I must stay strong. I let one tear fall and wiped it away quickly.

"Sue's gone," J said. I leaned down and kissed Sue's tiny head. I wiped away J's tears, but they wouldn't stop flowing. I embraced her and she cried.

"We need to go," J said. Sniffling a bit.

"What? Why?" I asked.

"There are murderers here. We need to get back to camp," said J.

  We rushed back and when we sat in the tent, I knew J wouldn't fall asleep.

"Lay down," I told J, sternly. She obeyed and I laid down behind her, wrapping her in a blanket and my arms. Then, I started singing. J soon fell asleep to my voice.

 I kept singing, even after she fell asleep.

"The clouds are here go to sleep, little one, never leave me behind. Know that I love you always. Never leave."

  My mom sang us that song when we were little.

  I can't believe this, my nightmare had come true!