Chapter One ~Katy~

Go away sunlight! I thought while I woke up on a very sunny Saturday morning on March 25th.The sun bursting through the cracks in my light purple curtains covering my 19th century window.

    My name is Katy Wonders. I have a twin sister named Jewel. See, we call each other J or K. We live on the edge of a small redwood forest, although we aren't allowed in there. Last night I heard something tap the window softly, but it was loud in my half-awake state.It might have been just the trees swaying in the late winter,early spring wind.  Today was special. It was our birthday today, and we were turning thirteen, an unlucky number some people say.

"J, wake up," I said after I get dressed , walking into my sister's room.

"Go away, Mom. Five more minutes," said J. I smiled lightly.

"Um, I'm not mom for one, and for two, you want to go into the forest?" I asked. She stirred.

"WHAT?!" J yelled.

"Don't wake Mom and Dad up. Get your stuff. What I mean is, get your weapons," I said with a smile.

    She knew what I meant by weapons. See, our family has these weapons that are real but only to be used in emergencies. My sister's favorite weapon is a knife. Mine is a sword. We both have shields.

    I walked out of J's room and down the carpeted hall to my room. Opening the door, I saw a woman sitting on my bed. I screamed.

"Shh," said the stranger, putting her finger to her lips.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm you godmother," she said. "My name is Lauren."

 I don't have a godmother, I thought.

   I heard running footsteps coming from down the hall and Lauren disappeared.

"What is it?" said J, pushing open my door.

"Someone was sitting on my bed," I said. I was shaking.

"Okay. I'm going back to my room," said J.

    Her soft footsteps vanished as she walked into her room. Then, I heard her scream. Turning on my bare heel, I opened my door and rushed down the hall to Jewel's room.

   I saw Lauren again. This time on Jewel's bed. My expression of surprise and panic was hidden for my sister's sake.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"To tell you something. You two are powerful. Here, take these necklaces," Lauren said.

    She handed us the necklaces. Mine had wave ripples and my sister's had a fire flame. We put them on. Sometimes I wish I could read her mind.

"Thank you," I said after two minutes.

"Thanks," said J.

"You're welcome. Here is a map for you, I need you to come to the palace. You have to face the dangers in the woods. Good Luck," Lauren said, and left us the map. She disappeared once again.

    My sister met me by the side of the house ten minutes later. It was a bit cold in the morning dew. It was only around eight in the morning. I tugged my jacket closer to me. We were going into the woods. The woods that were usually so safe to us.

"Ready?" I asked, looking at Jewel who was standing next to me.

"Yes," J said, with a tear running down her face. I walked over to her and wiped it off. She zipped up her jacket and pulled her blond ponytail tighter.

"Let's go," I said. I gave J a hug for good luck.

   We walked into the woods and we were immediately engulfed by the darkness. This bright day had suddenly turned very very dark.