// 1 \\

Thanks for reading. Some parts of this story may be triggering to some so please read at your own risk.
-//-

It was nine in the evening of a Friday night in September.

The streetlights dimly lit my desperate path through the roads that led up to the park where I would find what I was looking for. It was a frigid night and the cold air nipped at my face like a million icy daggers on my soft skin. I stumbled as I was in quite a hurry. I finally let out a sigh when I reached the familiar post at the end of the street.

The park was a ghost town, play areas and picnic tables long abandoned from earlier on in the day. Occasionally, there would be the echo of footsteps along the desolate pathway but each time I panicked, there was nobody there.

As soon as I realised I was completely alone, I let out a choked sob that had been killing me inside the more I held it in. My whole body ached which led to me crumpling down onto the grass below me. Out here in the park, no one would be able to hear me. I could let it all out and no one would know.

At last, I found the strength within to pull myself up one last time and continue heading towards the river - to the bridge. I felt numb to my surroundings, tuning out anything that could possibly distract me from what I needed to do, including all noise apart from the rushing water.

My hand gripped the side of the bridge, my knuckles turning white as I peered down into the unknown. I wasn't sure what would happen once I jump. Who did? Dead people didn't really come back and inform everyone about the events of the afterlife, after all. I wasn't scared though, death didn't scare me at all.

To me, death was an escape. I would leap off of this bridge and away from the entire town, from my school and from my family. Maybe when I jumped, I would fly away freely like a bird into the afterlife while my body tumbled into the icy waters below.

Nevertheless, I pulled myself up onto the wall of the bridge, sitting myself on the edge and watching my feet dangle in the air. Tears still dripped down my face despite me feeling nothing. I wasn't sad. I was relieved.

I took in a deep breath and wiped away the few tears that were still trailing down my cheeks.

"Stop!"

I paused for a second, my heart skipping a beat or two in surprise. There was someone standing behind me, just metres away from where I was sitting.

Slowly, I turned my head to see one of my classmates standing there with his bike next to him. He looked shocked but at the same time terrified. I didn't know his name; I didn't bother learning his or most other people's names in my classes. The only thing I recognised was his innocent blue and green eyes that were behind his glasses, regarding me with something I can only describe as concern.

Those eyes took me by surprise. The way they glistened in the streetlight made him seem to be one of those overly positive types of people. One that has never had his heart broken. Or one that has never had to go through a rough time in his life before. It annoyed me slightly. He annoyed me.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed, remaining in my position on the wall.

"I could ask you the same thing." He shot back, staring at me skeptically, unsure of my next move.

"I asked first." My own voice scared me slightly. "Why are you here?"

"I have my reasons. I don't need to explain to the girl who is about to jump off a bridge right now, do I?"

"Then leave. I don't want you here."

"I can't just leave you. I can't walk away and then find out tomorrow that you actually did jump."

"Well that's too bad." I sighed. "You can't stop this, it's my fate."

"Don't say that." He muttered, climbing to sit next to me. "Nothing is unchangeable. You can make the right choice and step down from here with me right now and I won't tell a soul."

"Who even are you?"

"Ouch. I'm Eli. You've been in our school for three months now and you still don't know my name?"

"Well you still haven't given me any reason to remember it." I mumbled, staring down at the river in longing.

"I remember your name, Ash. You told me it on the first day you arrived at school when I bumped into you in the corridor."

"Really? I don't remember that." I lied. I did remember it.

He had come round the corner in such a hurry that he didn't notice me there and went straight into me. I noticed he looked to be upset so decided to apologise to him even though it wasn't my fault. He then introduced himself and I returned the favour which seemed to make him quite happy. I always wanted to speak to him after that but avoided it completely, too afraid to go near him.

"You really don't?" He asked, sounding a little hurt.

"Nope." I smirked humourlessly.

"So Ash," he leaned forwards to look at me properly, "why were you going to jump?"

"Why am." I corrected sharply in anger. "I have my reasons. You're practically a stranger so you will not be hearing about my personal problems."

"I intend to find out eventually."

"Go ahead, try it." I growled in frustration. Maybe if he had approached me any day before today, he could have changed my mind or become friends with me. It was now too late.

"To do that, I'll be needing you to stay alive for the time being, thank you very much." He grinned, jumping down from the wall and dragging me with him. "I would like to know why you want to get rid of your life. One of the most precious things you could ever have."

I landed on my feet and faced him, wishing that looks could kill. His cheerful expression aggravated me to the point where I wanted to slap him.

"One of them." I repeated.

"Yes, one of them. The other is love. That's also very important, you know."

"Not really." I stated. "Not to me, at least."

"Some day you'll understand."

He then led me out of the park on his bike. We had walked to the edge of the street in silence until he finally turned back to me.

"I expect to see you in school on Monday morning nice and healthy, Ash Winters."

"We'll see."

With that, he turned the opposite direction to where I had to go and rode away on his bike, leaving me debating what to do. I could turn back and end it all there and then but what good would that do? His last words made me turn and walk home although the only thing I wanted to do was be away from that place.

I would deal with it for a couple more days just until Monday, at least.