// 22 \\

A couple days later, I decided I didn't want to go to school anymore. I had been staying home with Eli so I could spend as much time with him as possible so school was the last place I wanted to go. Despite this, being indoors all the time was driving me mad but I didn't want to leave him.

Eli's health seemed to be deteriorating further and further as the days went by and it was scaring me how quickly the time was slipping out of our hands. I felt like we were stuck in a sand timer and it was pouring out quicker and quicker the more we tried to stop it. I cried myself to sleep every night and I don't know if the others heard me or not but I didn't care.

On one night Jett had come in to ask if I was okay and to see how I was handling the situation. I told him I was doing fine. I lied.

He left saying no more but that night, I could also hear him crying through the thin walls. I wondered if it was because of Eli or if it was because of something else.

Elijah
We're going on a date today !!
08:34

Me
what?? why?
08:35

Elijah
cause I can see how being indoors all the time makes you sad? Plus I wanna spend time with you
08:37

Me
Where we going then?
08:38

Elijah
Out
08:39

After ten minutes I was dressed and ready to go out for the day. I was wearing a warm jumper and some jeans because the weather was getting colder lately. My hair was just left down and I couldn't be bothered to do anything other than brush it.

I left my room and walked downstairs into the kitchen. Mrs Barnes seemed to be at work as I didn't see her anywhere and Jett was sat outside on our hammock with a lit cigarette between his teeth. He hadn't noticed I was there.

I tapped on the glass door, getting his attention. He turned around and saw me standing there and took out his earphones.

"When will you quit smoking for good?" I asked irritatedly.

He shrugged, "when I don't have a reason to smoke anymore."

"You're gonna regret that when you're older. It has serious effects on your body and can cause lung cancer."

"I'm gonna die when I'm older anyways so it doesn't matter that much to me."

I heard the kitchen door open and saw Eli grabbing his bag from the floor. I quickly went back indoors, smiling at him.

Today wasn't so bad. Eli had made an effort to look good and it had worked out well. I could still see how pale he was and the dark circles under his eyes but I tried to ignore it for a while. It ruined the mood to dwell on things like that.

"Good morning," he said with a smile on his face, "do you want breakfast here or do you wanna eat out today?"

"Let's go out, we need to spend a few hours outside this house."

He nodded and led me to the hallway where he started putting on his shoes. I grabbed my coat from the cupboard and followed him outside, leaving that dismal house behind.

I couldn't help but have a permanent grin on my face as we walked down the street together. For the first time in ages I felt like a normal kid going on a date with her normal boyfriend. It was nothing big but it meant the world to me and I could tell it did to Eli too because I noticed him look more lively.

We came to a small cafe not too far from the house and decided to eat in there because it seemed quiet inside. I ordered a low priced meal as Eli had insisted he was going to pay for it and I didn't want him to spend too much on me. He was a little disappointed but I was glad that the food was cheap.