Chapter Twenty-Four

Not again!

"Okay. Seems like I'm ready to go-- oh, nope. Not yet." I laughed at myself for my mistake. I almost left the house without wearing my tie.

Silly me.

I went back to the closet then back in front of the mirror. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. You're probably thinking, hey, I thought you don't know how to tie your necktie?

To answer that question, yes I don't. I don't use to know how to tie my necktie. But I do have a pretty good teacher.

I slowly stopped. I couldn't help a smile from coming out when I remembered her.

And, God, it has been seven years. Still, one woman is in this beating heart. And after all these years, the pain is still here.

While looking in front of the mirror, my eyes caught two picture frames on the side table. A picture of Aeviry and me and a picture of my daughter and me.

Yes, my daughter-- our daughter, rather.

Seven years.

A lot happened in that seven years. Those were the longest years of my life yet it felt like everything happened like it was yesterday. The day where she left me.

She was just... gone. Gone into thin air. Gone without saying something or a simple goodbye. Gone without giving us a single hint or a reason... why? Why did she left?

"Daddy?" My daughter called. Her voice filled the whole room. That saved me from drowning on my own thoughts.

With a huge smile on my face, I looked at her. I kneeled down and spread my arms, "There's my girl. Come here, come here!"

She ran excitingly to me, with a smile on her face and reached out. I carried her and spun around. Which she loves.

All those stress, all the pain, all the exhaustion was gone every time I see my daughter smile.

Just a simple smile from her.

"Are you excited on your first day? Ready to meet some new friends? Huh?" I looked more excited than she did. I couldn't help it.

Today is her first day of school. She was homeschooled in her early years because of her condition. Though she is better now. After three years, she'll finally experience studying with other kids.

Back to our topic. What was her condition?

When I found out that, I had a daughter--

I had to cut my reminiscing in the past when I noticed that her face was a bit gloomy.

"I am, very much." The tone of her voice went down.

I sat her down at the edge of my bed. I examined her face, her expression, which was a little cloudy. I was dazed.

I wonder what's going in inside her head.

"Hmm? What's that on your face, then?"

Instead of a response, she looked down, playing with her fingers while her toes are curled. A smile flashed on me. I know someone who loves doing that.

She really is her mother.

I held her hand and gently pat the top of her head, "Avi? You can tell daddy if something's wrong."

She' still not saying a word. That made me worried more.

"Is there something wrong? Does your chest hurts? You can't breathe properly again?"