Chapter 2

~14 Years Later~

September 10th, 2018

The halls were pitch black, the sound of running footsteps echoed through the school – Mayu Akiyama a young 14-year-old girl was the only living soul in the school or what was believed. A human was slowly but carefully gliding behind the girl confidence shone through their strides as they walked closer and closer to the terrified teen. Soon the long corridor started to end and all doors to Mayu's freedom were locked earlier that day.

Mayu's friends had dared her to stay during the night to prove herself but now she was locked in with no way out until the morning, she was trapped with a monster. Her killer was dressed in complete black and held a stained red knife in their left hand, a malicious smile was plastered over the killer's face as they took a step nearer and nearer to their intended victim.

Mayu let out a high-pitch girly scream trying to alert people passing but it was near midnight otherwise known as witching hour and no human would dare to wonder the dark streets alone. The killer lunged at the girl forcing the knife into her weak pale flesh piercing her abdomen before slowly removing the knife allowing Mayu to drop to the cold floor. The metallic knife dripped in blood which fell to the floor behind her body but the night was not through yet.

Boots echoed on the floor as the killer moved whilst reaching out with a gloved hand towards the defenceless girl – grabbed by her neck Mayu was yanked from the floor, feeling the point of the knife pressing into her neck before the girl could react the deed was done. Her lifeless body was dropped to the floor like a rag doll before the killer moved.

~4 days later~

Tables were littered with abandoned sweets as the messy black haired man sat in his famous crouched position watching the live feed of a large criminal being sentenced to death. L was wearing a long sleeved white shirt and faded baggy blue jeans, he had recently ended one of the more complicated cases he had taken on under the name of Coil but like normal it did not take the detective long before he figured out who the killer was and sent the information to the CIA.

Behind the famous detective sat his assistant and most the time butler Watari or Quillsh Wammy as the residents at Wammy's house know him by. Watari was a much older man compared to his associate, he had white hair and grey eyes which wrinkles which litter his face. Watari was sifting through all the cases which L, Coil and Deneuve had been sent to solve before a quiet ping went off informing Watari of the new email which had come through, it was about a young 14-year-old who had been murdered and her killer had left no evidence.

Watari began to browse through the case seeing whether it was L worthy before he would consult the detective. L turned off the computer he was working on then climbed out of his chair and walked over to Watari to peer over his shoulder to see all the different case which were being screened. The one new case caught L's attention because the name of the school (Daikoku Private Academy) was the same High school which is ex-lover Light Yagami attended.

'Maybe if I investigate this, Light might come back, maybe we could see each other again' L thought before turning to Watari.

"The case sounds interesting send it to my laptop please" L said heading back to his previous seat.

"Japan, huh?" Watari spoke in a questioning manner.

"I always like a case with no evidence" L replied before gluing his eyes to his laptop screen waiting for his incoming file.

Shaldon, Devan

"River" Light's boss shouted over the racket of noise from other detectives. Light Yagami or Tsuki River was one of the most skilled detectives that England or even Europe had ever seen. Light slowly rose from his desk on the other side of the police station before heading over to his boss's office where he was greeted with a stern look.

"Is everything all right sir" Light asked when he entered the office whilst closing the door behind him.

"Is it ever all right when a young 14-year-old gets murdered" Light's boss replies, his posture was drooped and a tried expression started to bore onto his face.

"River the ICPO have ordered the three famous detectives to take part in an investigation to solve this case, they have ordered me to clear all cases that you are currently working on and to be a part of this task force to hunt down this malicious killer before he strikes again" the chief said. Colour in Light's face drained slightly at the mention of the greatest detectives, unlike other people Light was full aware that they were the same person and that person was the man he ran from 14 years ago.

"Where is the case headquarters being held?" Light questioned.

"Tokyo, Japan, the girl was a student at Daikoku Private Academy" the chief informed him before grabbing a file which was dropped on his desk then handed it to Light. "You have a plane waiting to take you out provided by L also accommodation has been arranged for you and your kids, the plane takes off at 22:00 make sure you are there" The chief ordered Light then proceeded to kick him out of his office.

After collecting his things from his desk, Light called Misa up to start packing clothes for all of them and told her the situation whilst he went to pull his children out of school for the rest of the month, the school were irritated with Light pulling his children out because their education mattered and could not get their heads around that these children were able to do university exams so missing a few months of school really was not going to matter especially when there was a killer on the loose.

Light booted his children into the car whilst shoving their school bags into the boot before climbing into the car and started the engine. On the way home Light explained to his children about the case and the possible run in with their biological father that might happen. When they arrived home, Misa was nearly finished with the packing and asked the children to grab whatever was valuable to them. Near grabbed his favourite toys, Mika grabbed her favourite movies and Alexa grabbed her father's pistol before being ordered to put it in the safe and grab something useful which turned out to be some books as well as a notepad.

Misa rounded them back into the car before setting off towards the Teignmouth bridge which was the only way to Teignmouth then on to Exeter. Exeter is a large city with plenty of carparks but hardly any spaces after driving through the fourth one a space became available which cause Light and another driver to fight for it – one slightly dented car later Light won. The children climbed out the car then proceeded to not help with getting the suitcases out from the boot.

The Exeter Airport was located to the east of the city centre and was a half an hour walk away from the car park the Yagami's had parked in. The walk was filled with both Mika and Alexa complaining and Near holding onto his mother's hand for dear life because of the huge amount of people. When they arrived at the airport the staff directed them towards the runway were the plane was stationary outside there was standing an elderly man in a suit. The same elderly man Light believed he would never see again.

"Watari" Light said.

"Hello Light"