Chapter 7

It was dark, the neighbourhood was silent but the peace was soon interrupted by a blood-curdling scream. A young girl was being dragged by a dark figure towards the school.

Another scream was let out but was soon muffled by the large hand of the killer. The girl who was being dragged was a 14-year-old girl known as Hitami Nishimura, she has long dark hair and her complexion was pale - she was aware of the murders which were happening at the school and she knew that she will not leave the school alive but her survival instincts were too strong.

Hitami was thrown into the nearest classroom which caused her to crash into the tables and chair that were now scattered around the room, this was going to leave some bruises on her soon-to-be-dead body.

"Why are you doing this, please just let me go" Hitami pleaded.

"Because you ruined everything" the figure replied before diving towards the girl then proceeded to slit her throat.

Mello collapsed on his bed in which he shared with his boyfriend Matt, only a couple of hours ago another murder happened at the school and it was finally starting to take effect on Mello's mental mind. Matt walked out of the bathroom which was connected to their bedroom, his hair was drenched and he was shirtless which revealed the small tattoo he had which was Mello's real name on his collarbone, Mello himself had the same tattoo on his collarbone with Matt's real name.

"What is wrong Mikael you have had this depressed look on your face ever since the third victim's body was discovered?" Matt questioned.

"How am I meant to become L's successor when I am not even able to protect the victims from being killed, we were sent to the school to find out who were potential targets and now two other people are dead because I failed such a simple task" Mello confessed, Matt walked over from the wall he was leaning on and sat down on the bed beside his boyfriend.

"You need to stop putting so much pressure on yourself, you are not going to be able to live up to the identity and reputation of L but you will be able to make it fit to your personality and L is not perfect he cannot save everyone someone has to die before he can help" Matt told Mello.

"But I should be able to live up to his reputation and I should be able to stop the murders before they happen" Mello argued.

"No, and I would not want you to do so, I love you the way you are and would never want you to change just because you have taken on L's identity" Matt informed Mello before placing a small kiss on the latter's cheek, Mello blushed slightly.

"You better dry your hair or you will get the bed wet" Mello ordered a small smile present on his face.

"Yes dear," Matt said before sitting up and headed towards Mello's desk where he kept his hairdryer "Thanks, Matt" Matt heard Mello muttered but decided not to respond.

Near was currently sitting on the floor at the old Kira Headquarters looking over the evidence which had been collected at the crime scene of all three murders. Near looked up at his older sister who was messing around with her guitar since she had nothing better to do.

"Alexa," Near said quietly but loud enough for his sister 'super human' hearing to pick it up and she did, Alexa stopped strumming on her guitar and looked over at her brother. He beckoned her over which caught the attention of Mika, both his sisters got up and headed over towards Near whilst trying not to catch the attention of the couple who were currently sitting in the love seat on the other side of the room.

"What is up, Nate?" Alexa questioned flopping down beside him.

"Would you be able to read all the dates of the murders, I think I have found a pattern but I would appreciate your opinion" Near answered.

"Sure, so the first murder was September 10th, the next was September 17th and the third was today which is September 23rd, oh," Alex said before realising what the pattern in which Near was talking about.

"What is it?" Mika asked looking at her siblings confused.

"It is counting down" Alexa answered.

"What do you mean it is counting down?" Mika questioned.

"First it was 7 days between the first and the second murder then between the second and third it was 6 days meaning the next murder is going to happen in 5 days' time" Near explained.

"We should tell Mum and Dad," Mika said attempting to get up but was pulled back down by Near and Alexa.

"The next murder is in 5 days' time which makes it a Saturday meaning the murder might not take place and this was all a coincidence," Near said.

"Are you telling me that you are waiting for someone to die on the weekend just to prove your theory" Mika whispered harshly.

"No, but we cannot get out hopes up if this theory does not stick, please Mika do not tell them" Near pleaded.

"Fine" Mika muttered.