Fifteen

All rights go to the amazing mind that is Cassandra Clare for all the characters in this story. This carries on straight from the last chapter.

Jace's POV

I looked down at the sofa, not being able to fathom what exactly had happened. "I-I don't understand." I said, looking at the others. "Where is she? She couldn't have just got up and walked out?" I put my hand to my head, confused. Hodge walked over to the sofa and bent down next to it. He looked up at me.

"What size feet would you say Clary was?" We all frowned.

"Why does that matter? Her body is missing." I said. "Don't you think that's the more pressing matter?"

"Size 6 maybe." Izzy said, ignoring my comments. "Why?" He sighed as he moved to the side. We all looked down at the pool of blood on the floor, seeing next to it a small footprint.

"Wait a second, you think that is Clary's footprint?" I asked. "That's impossible. We all saw her die, Hodge." I looked away for a moment, remembering.

"That doesn't mean anything in our world." He said, looking at us.

"You're saying that you think she got up, apparently back from the dead, and walked out of here? That's your theory?" I asked.

"Does sound a little crazy." Isabelle agreed.

"Not if it wasn't her that walked out." Alec said from behind us. We all turned, seeing him crossing his arms as he leant against the window frame. "Look at this." He said. We all walked over to see him pointing at a spot by the window.

"What?" Izzy asked.

"This-" He said, pointing again. "A break in the line of Kala Namak on this window."

"The only reason Clary would need to do that was if she couldn't get past it. And if she couldn't get past it..." Alec stopped, sighing.

"Then she's not Clary anymore." I finished.

***

"This is sounding a little far fetched." Isabelle said as she paced slightly. "I mean, after the Fur disappeared, you know, when it literally turned to dust, Clary seemed to still be her when she was dying."

"It was her." I said. "I would have known if it was the fur."

"Well, maybe Clary had to die before the Fur could take over." Hodge suggested.

"I can't believe we are still debating this. Even if she did get up and walk over to the window, just magically coming back to life, how would she even touch the Kala Namak if the Fur was inside her? Surely it would still effect the thing. And there's the still the question that if she did jump out the window, how would she even survive that fall?"

"Well, she has done it before." Isabelle said.

"Yes. Jumping out of windows does seem to be her favourite method of exit." Hodge added.

"We can keep guessing all night if you want, or we could actually find out." Alec said, still looking out the window. I walked over again.

"And how do we do that, oh great one?" He smirked, slightly proud of himself as he looked back out the window.

"With the power of mundane technology." I frowned before following his eye line over to the security camera on the other side of the street. I rested my hand on his shoulder and patted him.

"Aren't you the insightful one today?" I said. "Only one problem." He looked at me. "How do we see what's on it?" He pressed his lips together in thought.