Locket📿

Prompt from PTX_Pentaholic99 : see media! I also published this is Firefly! I wrote it for that book, but still wanted to give her credit here, so here it is!

Setting: Firefly AU

Words: 994
•••••

"What's this?"

Mitch picks up a locket from Scott's dresser. It was carved from glass and filled with pink dust crystals growing from the center point. Holding it together is a golden frame, coming at the crown to create a screw that the chain slips through.

Scott looks up from his computer, then strides over quickly to take it from Mitch's hands.

"This," he starts, placing the pendent around his neck, "is a necklace. Never seen one before?"

"Is that sarcasm I hear?" Mitch turns around, simultaneously surprised and amused.

Scott only grunts in reply, slipping the pendent under his shirt and sitting back down at his computer.

He hears Mitch sit on his bed, sighing.

Scott tries to ignore him, but less than twelve seconds later, he scoots closer, sighing slightly louder.

"No." Scott replies, without turning around.

"No, what?" Mitch wines.

"Don't, Mitch. I can hear you thinking."

"But I want to know! Why did you take it so quickly? Why do you hide it under your shirt? Why is it pink? You were careful with it, so it must be important to you-"

Now it's Scott's turn to sigh, but Mitch continues.

"And, you took it from me before further explaining yourself so you could guarantee I wouldn't refuse to give it back!"

"Mitch, would you stop it, for fuck's sake?" Scott exclaims.

There's a pause.

"Well, now you're getting all worked up over it."

"Of course I'm getting worked up over it! Are you capable of seeing something without meticulously breaking its history apart?" Scott exasperates, finally swiveling around to face Mitch.

"No."

"Oh my gosh. What the hell am I going to do with you?" Scott complains to his screen, trying to distract himself from the boy who always seems to capture every ounce of his attention.

"Don't swear."

"Fine. What the heck am I going to do with you? Happy?"

Mitch hums happily in reply, and it's silent for a moment. Then, he gets up and walks to Scott's chair. He turns Scott's chair around until the impatient blue eyes meet his own.

"How am I supposed to learn anything about you if you won't let me?"

Scott looks down, the gaze making him feel interrogated.

"I care, Scott. Get used to it, 'cause I'm not going away anytime soon-"

"Tell me about it-"

"And you're wasting your time with this tough guy act. Now, either you've got a weird locket obsession, or there's a deeper connection behind this cute little pendant you've got there."

Scott doesn't answer right away, but he knows Mitch won't stop.

"I'm your friend, Scott. I just want to understand."

Scott takes a breath, and looks Mitch in the eye.

"My mom isn't really in Puerto Rico. She, uh, she died when I was nine." He states monotonously.

Mitch gasps.

"Scott-"

Scott holds a hand up.

"You asked, so let me tell."

Mitch backs away to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Before she passed, she gave me this locket. She said it was something she treasured as much as me and my dad. It never left my chest, those first years, but as time went by, people stated to notice. It was weird, being a straight guy with a pink pendant, and not having an answer when people asked you why. Called me Scotty Locket. So, I stopped wearing it. This upset my dad, as expected, and he and my best friend at the time worked together to get me a gray and blue one just like it. I wore that until I felt okay without a locket at all. Nowadays, I wear this one when I need her around. No one to laugh or judge anymore, so..."

Scott glances up. Mitch didn't respond immediately, but Scott could see the sadness in his face.

"You told me she lived in Peru. Scotty, I'm sorry." Mitch's hand came up to cover his mouth as one tear escapes.

Scott shifts uncomfortably, because Mitch is crying, and though it isn't surprising, he doesn't really know how to stop it.

Last time, all he had to do was kiss him back.

"I'm so sorry." Mitch takes Scott's hand softly in his.

"There's nothing to apologise for. It doesn't hurt anymore. If anything, it's a comfort mechanism." Scott smiles softly, his mind still traveling back to simpler times.

They sit for a moment, and then Scott clears his throat.

"So, I've got to go to the store at six. Is Kirstin on her way?"

"Oh," Mitch is pulled out of his trance, wiping away his tears, "yes. Yeah, she should be...yeah. Let me check my phone."

Scott takes his hands from Mitch's, and Mitch dives for his phone in an attempt to look unaffected.

"Actually, she should be here now." Mitch adds with a chuckle.

"Okay, great." Scott stands to his feet as Mitch collects his bag and things.

"So, I'll see you soon?"

"Yes. Text me when you get home." This causes Mitch to pause, looking up at Scott with a face of surprise.

"Yes. Yes, I will." He bites his lip and pulls his bag over his shoulder, standing up straight.

"Okay then." Scott stares at Mitch for a moment, and it seems like a standstill decision. Mitch takes a step foreword, and falls into Scott's hold comfortably.

Scott decides not to tell him that he's the first person he's hugged voluntarily.

"Bye." Scott states in a stagnant tone, pulling away.

"Okay, bye." Mitch steps out of the room quickly.

The door clicks shut, and it's silent once again.

He used to beg for silence.

Scott takes a deep breath, turning to his window and looking out, seeing the bright red beetle pulling up outside of his house.

He watches tiny Mitch jog towards it, and Scott leans against the wall, trying to calm his beating heart.

"What the hell am I going to do with him?"

•••••

Simple question; tell me one good thing about your week so far?