A difference Part 24

What happened next, no one could foresee.  Two schoolboys entered the station, with a girl between them.  The girl was sobbing and crying, she seemed to be in a lot of pain.

Another girl followed them and started to talk to the policewoman.  Faith could only make out some of the words.  When she mentioned the bushes in the sugarcane field, she gave more attention.

Apparently, the girl who was talking was waiting for her friend to walk to school together.  When her friend didn't show up, she started walking towards her home to meet her on the road.  It was then that she noticed her friend's school bag lying next to the road.  When she looked up she saw a man running from the bushes in the sugarcane field and decided to check it out. 

She found her friend there in shock and pain. All that she could say is that she was raped.  The girl asked the two boys to help her to bring her friend to the police station.

The policewoman showed her friend the picture that was lying on her desk.  The friend's eyes filled with shock and horror as she tried to pull away. 

"Is that him?" the woman asked and the girl nodded as she started sobbing again.

The woman looked straight at Tracey.  "We've got him.  He'll be behind bars soon.   Here is my number if you need to talk to me, don't be afraid to call or text me.  If you see or hear anything, or need any help with the topic that we have discussed, please let me know.  Remember you can make a difference.  You can go, but remember to go to the clinic." She said with an encouraging smile as she gave Tracey her card.

The relief on Tracey's face gave Faith enough courage to say:  "Let's go to the clinic while it is still early.  I'm sure you want it all over and done as quickly as possible, then our lives can return to normal.

For a moment it seemed as if Tracey was going to protest but then she said;  "I suppose it can't do any harm."  She thought for a minute and then continue:  "Mom would you pray for me that I don't fall pregnant or get HIV.  I haven't even thought of how bad it might turn out."

"I have already prayed for that my child, but give me your hand, then we pray together.  We need to pray and the Lord will help us.  Dear Lord help us get through this without scars and keep Your hand of protection over us.  Thank you for everything.  Amen."  She said as she took Tracey's hand.

Hand in hand they walk towards the clinic, knowing that they have to trust in the Lord.

After the tests were done Tracey looked relieved but a little bit distracted.

"What is bothering you?"  Faith asked.

"Nothing much, I 've just decided what I want to do after school,"  she answered.

"What?"  Faith asked,  thanking the Lord that her child is thinking of the future again.

"I want to become a nurse."

"Why?"  Faith asked a little surprised.

"I want to help girls that find themselves in the same horrible circumstances that I was in the last few days.  Maybe a clinic where they can go for tests.  It should be a safe place where the police can take their testimonies in a private and comfortable environment.

"Thank you, God," is all that Faith could reply.

Tracey finished her last school year and enrolled as a student nurse at a big hospital in Johannesburg.

(You will meet Tracey again if you keep reading.  Enjoy it.)