what's the worst that could happen? - chapter 1

Lilly- 3 months before

Lilly got off the bus and adjusted her eyes to the dark. It was late winter, and even though it was only four o'clock, it was pitch black. She crossed the road and absentmindedly thought of whether her mother had made dinner that night, or whether she'd be passed out on the sofa from too much drink. She approached her front door and instantly noticed that something was different. Her mother usually left a light on in the living room, but Lilly could not see one on. She walked to the front door and noticed it was slightly ajar, and that the hinges were bent, as if the door had been forced open. Lilly cautiously raised her umbrella above her head, and wielded it like a sword as she gently pushed open her front door and stepped inside.

As soon as Lilly turned towards the living room, she knew what had happened. She saw her dad, silently sobbing over a picture of Lilly and her brother together. She knew that her brother was going to die, but she hoped that she'd see him one more time before cancer took him.

 Lilly- Current day

"Lil, you haven't spoken to me at all this whole journey. I know you're mad at me, but, this is the right decision for us. I can feel it. Ireland is our home, and just think, you'll be able to see Finn and Archie again" her dad sang, poking fun at the fact that Lilly's only two friends were boys.

"Dad, stop" she whined, dragging out her words as she rolled her eyes at him. Almost like things were normal.

"Alright, alright, music?" her dad said, laughing in spite of himself as he leaned over to extract the Nirvana album from the glove compartment. Lilly, despite her teenage angst, grinned at her dad as Smells Like Teen Spirit blasted through the speakers, both doing air guitar and faces as the song began.