chapter 13

Mike, Sonny and Ruben get home, telling by the slamming of the fridge door and the sound of beer cans clinking. We head up to the first floor, this time not tripping, and once we get up Mitch hands them a chart. It has names, addresses and directions on it. Their updated hit list. 

Mike grins and then tells us all about their eventful day. They'd killed two. 

Again, someones child, someones spouse, someones parent. It hurts to hear him talk about it like a sport. 

He lists their names. Avriel Kaplan and Charlie Tenic. I knew the first was a drug lord, the other I'd never heard of. He describes how they'd killed them, how they'd gotten away from the scene before the police even got there. I wish they would be caught. Even if it means I'd be imprisoned as well. 

Mike hands Mitch a pile of bloodied clothes, along with a gun that had blood on the corner, like it'd been used to hit someone. He finally hands us a gory knife and we're set on our way to wash them. As we walk away Mitch wrinkles his nose, obvious discomfort on his face. I can tell he despises this. 

But who wouldn't?

We get back to the basement, carrying the pile and setting it into the sink. Mitch turns on the faucet and can barely look to see the water turn red as the clothes are drenched. I want to vomit. Mitch scrubs the clothing with a sponge, and his face starts to turn pale. We stand in silence for some time, only hearing the rush of water. 

I look back to Mitch and see that he's crying. 

I wipe away his tears with my thumb and put my arm around his shoulder, holding him closer to me as he collapses into my hold and continues to wash. 

I hear someone climb down the stairs, and turn to see Sonny. 

He holds the sheet of paper Mitch had given him, and walks towards that weapon case. He fumbles for a key and unlocks it, then puts the paper in the back of the case, where those other papers were. The ones Mitch didn't want to tell me about. He was trying to keep it a secret.

That must be where they keep a log of who they've killed and who's next. 

Why was he trying to hide it from me? 

Thanks for reading! Again, this chapter seems rather short, but I didn't really want to get too detailed with washing those gruesome clothes. It's pretty weird how in this story Avi is a drug lord, but I just wanted to throw his name in there. Keep reading, commenting and voting! Stay f'cute!

~Cassie :)