chapter 31

SCOTT'S POV

After searching the house, I decide to give up and look for Mitch elsewhere. He couldn't of gotten that far. I take one final look at the place, and open the door. I'm about to step out when I hear an odd noise. 

I shut the door and walk back inside, searching for the source of the sound. It seems to be coming from the bathroom. Why hadn't I checked there? 

As I walk closer, the sounds grow clearer and I hear muffled cries. 

Mitch. 

I open the door, making the cries turn into a yelp. Mitch sits behind the door, with his legs held by his arms to his chest, his head stuffed between his knees. Sobs erupt from him, making his whole body shudder. I crouch on the door, and reach out a hand, putting it to his knee. He flinches but doesn't push me away. 

"Mitch?" I whisper. "What is going on?" He stays with his head between his knees, not looking up at me. I look around the bathroom and notice white pills scattered along the tiles beside a knocked over glass of water. My face hardens and I lift his chin with my finger. 

"Mitchell Grassi. What is going on?" I state. His cheeks are wet and his eyes are red and puffy. He looks so ill, so pale, so sad. 

"I'm sorry." He whispers so soft I barely hear him. I wrap my arms around him and pull him to me, letting him sink into my embrace.

"Why were you about to do this?" Why am I even asking this? I know the answer. I was part of the reason. 

Mitch doesn't attempt to say anything. He lets more cries escape.

"Shh, shh, baby." I whisper. "You'll be okay. I'm not going to leave you. I'm not going to leave you. I'm staying right here. I'm going to stay with you for as long as you need me to." I kiss the top of his head and he seems to tense. 

"P-Please stay, Scott. I need you." He mutters. "I have no one else." 

"What kept you from taking those pills?" I say. I hope I was the reason he didn't take them. 

"Before.." He stutters and catches his breath. "I knew that I needed to see your face one last time before I would end it. I just.." He starts to sob again. "I just wanted to make sure that I would make the right decision." 

"Mitch. You definitely made the right decision. You are staying right here with me. You aren't going to leave me. Never leave me, okay?" He nods into my chest.

"Okay, Scott." 

MITCH'S POV

Scott Hoying saved my life. 

This was the last chapter, you guys! (I'll have another chapter with my thank yous and future book ideas and what not)

~Cassie :)