Chapter 18

I watched as Fall showcased itself outside of my window. Before long, winter would create a glistening blanket of snow over Maine's landscape. But for now, it was Fall's turn to be known.

"C'mon kiddo I can't be late to the game" Louis called to Belle from our kitchen.

I lift my head from my palm "She still not ready?"

Louis tossed a couple Gatorades into his cooler and gave his head a quick shake.

"Belle" I call.

Moments later, Annabelle saunters into our view

"I'm ready, I'm ready" she says

"Lets roll out" Louis says.

I walk past the small mirror hanging on the wall and promptly stop "My hair!" I say

"Yes, you have hair, Lace" Louis furrows his brow "Lets go the coach can't be late"

"Why didn't you tell me it looked like this?" I groan, tugging at the frizzy mess on top of my head.

"I am going to leave you." Louis states "You could shave your head and still be one of the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Lets. Go" Louis waves his arm repeatedly towards the door.

I growl lowly at him before rushing to the bathroom to grab a brush and elastic then following Lou and Belle to the car.

"I wonder where Belle gets her dawdle queen title from" Louis smirks as he pulls out of the driveway

"You're the one who insisted on picking us up for the game this morning" I say as I gather my hair up in my hands, attempting to stick my mess-that-I-call-hair up into a ponytail.

"Is it such a crime to want to show up to the game with my two prizes in hand?"

"Stop trying to be cute" I roll my eyes before letting out my suppressed laugh.

"I am quite the prize" Annabelle nods.

"Yes you are" I call back to her.

"Usually you are too, mom. But with that hair? You may be more like those consolation prizes" She crinkles her face into a look of dissatisfaction

"Are you sure she's not my kid?" Louis points to himself

"Mm, yeah. Pretty sure" I remark.

---

Louis quickly exits the car as soon as we get to the soccer field and walks to the bleachers with Annabelle's hand gripped in his. Belle's little legs shuffled quickly to keep up with Louis.

 I notice that looks are being shot in my direction as I gather my things in Louis car.

As I start to observe my surroundings I see a pair of two mothers casting glances then talking with their hands hiding their mouths. Their husbands stood beside them, unaware of their petty actions.

"Excuse you" I mumble "I don't know why I am your topic of conversation" I roll my eyes to myself and get out of the car, retrieving the cooler full of Gatorade and water out of the back seat.

Pulling the cooler, I notice it. The journal. Just sticking out of the seat pocket.

I place my fingers to my lips.

I really shouldn't. I really, really, shouldn't.

"Hey there" Liam's voice causes me to jump.

"Jeez" I hold my hand to my chest "Could you not try and put me in cardiac arrest.

"Is that. . .?" Liam peers his head into the car to see what I was so focused on "The journal. Lacie Castleton, no." Liam pulls the bag out the rest of the way and pushes me onward.