Chapter 6

"You're not the best walking shoes" I scold my flip flops as we continue to venture into the thick woodland.

I keep my eye on Belle, who has made it her task to collect all of the leaves that have fallen onto the ground in the forest.

"They've fallen out of their houses and now they are lost" She says again.

Anabelle reaches for another large handful of leaves, dropping an equal amount back onto the ground as she does so.

"Honey, where do you plan to keep those when we get home?" I ask, carefully stepping over a wobbly rock.

"In our back yard. That will be their new home" She replies

"Sounds like a good plan" I nod

"I have to pee" Belle says. Her legs quickly snap together as she performs her bathroom dance for us.

"I'll take her" Liam says before I can get any words out.

Knowing that the reason he wants to take Belle is because that means Louis and I will be alone, I know there is no use in trying to change his mind. This sucker is determined. Though the woods isn't really my ideal spot of being somewhere alone with a guy for the first time. . . Good job, Li.

I watch Liam and Belle get smaller and smaller as they walk away.

"Quite the kid you've got there" Louis sends a smile my way as he continues to walk

"Yeah, she's something" I smile back

"Her father isn't going to be at her game tomorrow, is he" He says as more of a statement than a question.

"No" I shake my head "How did you know?"

"I overheard what you were saying at dinner and I put two and two together. My dad was the same way" I can see the sympathy in his eyes. "Always had a reason he couldn't be at my games. . .Or anything else important, really"

"Sounds like William" I mutter "It just makes me so frustrated" I clench my fists "He pretends he wants to be involved"

"Dead beat dad at its finest. But listen-" Louis commands eye contact as we walk "You're doing a great job with her. She's by far the most behaved kid on the soccer team" He says

"Belle?" I ask in disbelief "She obviously hasn't pulled out her sassy side on you yet" I grin "Just wait. It's coming"

Louis laughs gently "Nah, she's a great kid"

"Thank you" I nod "I think she's pretty great"

"Watch out" Louis says as he walks ahead.

"For what?" I ask, turning my head "OH!"

Suddenly the rock underneath my feet betrayed me, rolling from under my feet and throwing me to the ground.

I immediately reach for my ankle, feeling a throbbing pain emitting from the area.

"Ouch" I wince

"Lacie are you ok?" Louis quickly finds himself next to my side

"Oh yeah I'm great. I just thought this would be a good place to take a little break" I retort

"Woah there. I think we know where Belle's sassiness comes from" Louis smirks

"I think I twisted it" I say as we both examine my ankle

"Well honestly I don't know why I'm looking at it because you could have broken it and I wouldn't know the difference" Louis says "Here" He helps me stand on one leg and puts his arm behind my leg