Chapter 24

"Describe it" Liam messes with the scruff on his cheek

"No." I reply shortly

"Describe it" He repeats.

"No." I say, then continue to smother peanut butter in the middle of celery sticks .

"Come on." He pushes "Was he a better kisser than Will?"

"We are not having this conversation" My eyes stay focused on the snack in front of me.

In an attempt to push the information out of me, Liam begins making exaggerated noises of what the kiss may have sounded like.

"Dear gosh stop it." I role my eyes in disgust. "Belle, your snack is ready" I call.

The pattering of feet sounds down the hallway before Belle appears before us.

"Thank you" She grabs the plate and takes a seat beside Liam at the counter.

"He's the one, isn't he?" Liam grins.

"Okay number one" I point my peanut butter covered knife at Liam "We are not going to discuss this right now" I send a quick nod towards my daughter "And number two" My knife stays pointed at the annoyingly inquisitive man "That's not for me to decide."

"Oh come on. . ." Liam stops and looks at Belle briefly before continuing "If you think Strawberry cake is the right decision, then that's your choice. You don't need someone else to tell you that's what you want."

"Well the strawberry cake has some say in this too. If the strawberry cake doesn't think I'm the right person to have it, then I can't buy that cake" I reply

"Uh, mom. It's a cake. It has no say in this. You want it, you buy it."

"She's not wrong" Liam says.

Liam and I exchange glares.

"So. Are we buying strawberry cake or not?" Belle wipes peanut butter off her sticky face.

"Yes." Liam answers before I could even open my mouth.

"If you like strawberry cake so much why don't you go and buy it" I throw him a sarcastic smile.

"Besides, the strawberry cake is the one that has to buy me." I take my hair and entwine it between my fingers.

"Oh so you would let the strawberry cake buy you?" Liam's eyebrows shoot up.

"Well. . . I mean. . ."

Belle's face is contorted from confusion "Okay, you guys are weird." She states, sliding off her bar stool. "I'm going to go eat these in my room. Where it's safe." She gives us one last look before reaching up to grab her plate. 

Her voice lingers in the hall "Strawberry cake" she shakes her head.

As soon as Belle is out of sight, Liam lunges forwards at the counter "Oh my gosh, Lacie. You are ready to marry Louis."

"Would you lower your voice!" I wave my hand at him "I don't know"

"Yes you do" he says "You so do."

I refuse to reply.

"Well if it makes you feel any better I think he's ready too."

"What? No." I say ". . .Why would you say that?" I fold my arms.

"Hey, I'm not saying he's going to drop down on one knee at your next date. I'm just saying I don't think it's that far off."

My heart begins to beat at what I can only assume is an unhealthy speed