25

"What was I supposed to say?" Frankie burst into laughter, "I'm sorry, but I'm not an asshole."

"Everyone is a little bit of an asshole on the inside," Dean argued through his own laughter, "but let's be honest, that was the ugliest dog I've ever seen."

"Every dog is beautiful in their own way," Frankie tried to be nice, but his voice gave it away.

"Stop being nice," Dean tried to push Frankie off the pathway.

"Stop being a dick," Frankie didn't budge, but he reached over and pushed Dean off of the sidewalk.

"It's in my DNA," Dean stepped back onto the path, and walked alongside Frankie, "my dad was a dick too."

"What about your mom?" Frankie regretted the question as soon as he said it.

Dean's face fell, and he kicked a random rock, "she died when I was a baby."

"Oh," Frankie reached out, but dropped his arm when Dean flinched, "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Dean shrugged, and looked up with a sad smile, "I had my sister."

"I don't have any siblings."

"They're a pain," Dean grumbled, "even when they're not, but I'd hate to not have anyone."

"It's okay I guess," Frankie stated while turning the corner, "quiet, but lonely."

"So," Dean started to try and change the subject, "where'd you move here from?"

"Petawawa." Frankie answered, "It's a tiny military base in Ontario."

"Sounds boring," Dean wrinkled his nose.

"It's no different than here," Frankie shrugged, "but smaller, and everyone knows everyone."

"I grew up in LA," Dean admitted.

"You left LA to move here?" Frankie looked at Dean with shock written all over his face, "Are you crazy?"

"My sisters idea," Dean chuckled, "and since she's my legal guardian, I had to come with," he rolled his eyes.

They turned into the corner store parking lot.

"Do you have money?" Frankie asked.

"No," Dean stopped walking, "you said you had money."

"No," Frankie shook his head, "you said you were buying lunch."

"Get your hearing checked."

"I have excellent hearing," Frankie resumed walking to the doors, "I have money."

Dean rolled his eyes, and stomped up the hill after him, "asshole."

"I'm buying you lunch," Frankie called down to him, "I wouldnt insult me."