Chapter 8 Part 3

Chapter 8 Part 3

"What do you wanna do now?" Brandon asks as I shut the front door behind us.

"Anything but math homework," I groan. We got a huge assignment from Mr. Fox because it's a weekend and we have a test on Monday. So it's a review so we don't forget how to do everything over the weekend. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Fox is one of my favorite teachers, but the amount of homework we get is ridiculous. We've been getting homework since the first day; that's just not right in my opinion.

"I'm fine with that," he chuckles.

"You're not even in as high a math class as me so you have no room to complain. I learned what you're doing right now last year!" I complain some more. Brandon holds up his hands in surrender cause I have a point. I think about it for a while then come to a decision. "Let's just watch some tv. I started watching this newer series called Are You The One? and I don't think I've watched the last one yet."

"No offense, but it sounds really stupid," he says bluntly.

We'll see about that I think to myself. "Yeah, well it is kind of at first. Just give it awhile so it can start to get interesting,"  tell him. "Kristen got me hooked. It took us both a while to like it but after a while when a commercial would come on, we would end up yelling and groaning and moaning at the tv. It was quite funny really," I have to laugh a little bit thinking back on it and thinking about how we must have looked to the people around us. "When her brothers started talking when it was on we would yell at them to be quiet and if they didn't shut up, we put a pillow over their face so they would. Kind of like what she and I do when we watch Pitch Perfect. That wasn't nearly as funny though."

"Okay then," he sounds a bit concerned. Probably for Kristen's brothers. "What's Are You The One about?"

"Okay, quick summary. 10 guys, 10 girls, all of whom have one perfect match among themselves. 10 chances to guess right. If they all get with their perfect match then they get to split up the reward money between them all. But if by the end of the 10 chances they don't get all of them right, they leave with nothing."

"So basically they are trying to find their mate, but it's not as easy," he sums up in his head, but I have no idea what the heck he is talking about.

"Mate?" I voice my question.

"It basically means soul mate. It's a werewolf thing," Brandon explains. "You're supposed to feel something like tiny little shocks of tingles and they smell like heaven. A lot of werewolves live what I guess you can call A fairy tale life after they find their mates. Get married, have kids, live happily ever after. The normal stuff."

At his words, a part of me breaks, but I hide it. I don't want him to think I'm weak. What I got out of that is that somewhere out there, he has a soul mate. And just when things were starting to look up finally, I find out that the most important thing in my life right now won't always be with me. I should have known there was a catch to this much happiness. "Oh," I say sounding sad and broken instead of strong and confident like I wanted to. "So you have a mate?"

"I did," he sounds really sad. I wait for him to explain but he just says, "I don't want to talk about it right now."

 "You did?" I ask anyway. "What happened? Did she die or something?" I was happy that she's not in the picture anymore, but now I feel really bad. I get to be happy with him with me, but his soul mate may be dead...

"I really don't want to talk about this right now. I'll tell you eventually, I promise, just not yet," he insists.

"Fine, but I'm holding you to that promise," I look through my recorded shows until I find Are You The One? Snuggling into Brandon, I start the first episode so he is up to date and understands what is happening.