Chapter 21.

[Laila]

At the end of the week, the day before I had to leave, I went to watch Jay perform. The atmosphere was pretty magical, and it was fun seeing Jay play a role. He seemed so happy that it made me happy too.

In these past couple of days nothing special had happened between us despite the kiss, and I wanted to keep it that way for now. Yes, I liked him but I definitely wasn't ready for anything. I wasn't jeopardizing the best friendship I'd ever had based on some unstable feelings.

"How did I do?" Jay asked when I met him backstage, still sweaty and breathless from the show.

"It was amazing! Your feet were moving so fast that my eyes nearly crossed."

He laughed and pulled me into his side. "I'm going to shower and change and then we can get some late-night food since this is our last night together."

"Sounds good."

I followed him to his dressing room where I waited while he showered. I was sad that I'd be leaving tomorrow in the afternoon, but I knew that I'd find a way for us to meet again soon.

While I was reading a magazine, Jay came out with only a towel around his waist. "Sorry, I forgot to take my clothes with me."

I nodded and resumed looking at the magazine, hoping it covered the fact that I was blushing too. He looked great with his wet curls, exposed chest, and towel hanging low on his hips.

When he finally got dressed, we went to the only place open at this hour: McDonald's.

"So, when will we see each other again?"

"I don't know, but we'll see" I replied. "It'll be like the old days, skyping and texting."

"I know. I'll just miss having you around."

"I'll miss you too Jay."

We smiled at each other and I thought.

"If you ever come to Scotland don't hesitate to drop by."

"Same if you come to London."

"Maybe I'll come to one of your events."

"I'd like that."

Jay sighed. "Hopefully one day we can live closer to each other."

"Maybe." I didn't see myself moving but who knows?

That night it dawned on me that this was the last night I had with Jay really. "I don't want to sleep tonight. I just want to chat with you."

"Okay Laila."

We talked about various things, Jay eventually falling asleep from exhaustion. I watched him for a moment, tempted to run my hand through his beautiful curls. He looked truly angelic and peaceful, I wanted to keep that picture in my mind forever.

At that moment, I didn't want to go home.