Chapter 22.

Sadly, all good things come to an end. Jay and I parted, and I was back to my life in Sandyport. I was so distracted at work, thinking about James, wondering what he was doing. I truly wished I could just teleport myself to see him when I wanted.

Hi Laila :) Missing me? ;)

Yes :( Back at work now and I can barely concentrate lol

When you get home we can Skype :)

Can't wait What are you up to?

Well I'm preparing to go back to the US for a while.

Lucky :( Wish I could go there one day. Hopefully you will so I can show you around. Alright then Englishman in New York ;)

Scottish rose :P

As soon as I got home, I changed into my home clothes and opened up my laptop, waiting for Jay to come online.

"Hey Laila. What's up?"

"Not much. Going to catch up on some programs I missed."

"Oh cool. I'm just packing."

"I've got a packing technique that will save you space."

I showed it to him with one of my tops and he copied, realizing that I was right.

"Thanks Laila."

"No problem."

Over the next month Jay went to the US and talking got more difficult, but we managed. I was also talking to Nathan who was still working on his new album. At work things had picked up considerably: we now had a stationary section that I was working on.

By the time I had time to breathe again three months had passed. Jay and I were talking sporadically as he was busy, same with Nath. I had been working on myself and going to therapy which had really helped me begin to improve my life. I still struggled but at least now I realized that all this time I hadn't been living, just existing.

It was time to live again.

The waves were crashing on the beach as normal as I walked, hands in my pockets. I was taking everything in, meditating a little. I was deep into it when my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi Laila, it's been a while."

"It has. How are you?"

"I'm good. I have some downtime now."

"That's good."

"What about you?"

"Oh not much. The rush has calmed down and things are pretty normal now. Just talking a walk on the beach."

"Ah yes the beach. I wouldn't mind a walk like that right now."

"Shame you're not here then" I giggled.

"I'm thinking of coming up to see you soon enough."

"I'd like that."

I hoped it would be soon.

About an hour later I walked back from the beach. It was evening and getting darker by the minute, but I was used to this. Just as I went to cross the road, there was a blinding light and I felt myself hit against a car and fall to the ground. I could barely comprehend what was happening. The driver got out and stood over me, pulling out his phone. He sounded like he was drunk. I wanted to go but I couldn't move. My body was in shock.

[Jay]

I didn't hear from Laila for two days. I figured she was busy or something, but normally she was never too busy for me. When I finally got an answer from her, it wasn't what I expected.

She'd been in an accident. She wasn't seriously hurt and she was at home recovering. I decided to call her.

"Laila? Are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm okay. Just recovering."

"Anything broken?"

"No, just bruises and a concussion."

"Do you need anything?"

"No it's okay. Thanks Jay."

"Just say the word and I'll be there, alright?"

"Alright."