Chapter 23.

[Laila]

After the accident I felt...deflated. I wasn't seriously hurt but it did have an impact on me. I found myself replaying what happened in my head to figure out what I did wrong. Because of this it could be hard to get to sleep sometimes. I could have died!

I'd kind of avoided talking to Jay because I wanted him to think everything was fine and as far as he knew I was already better.

"You haven't been talking to me much lately Laila, is everything okay?"

"Yes, just busy."

"You sure?"

"Yep."

He sighed. "Laila?"

"Yes?"

"You're not a good liar. I know something's up."

I sighed back. "It's nothing serious."

"You can talk to me about it."

"I just wonder what I did wrong, that's all."

"You did nothing wrong. These things just happen."

"I don't know about that Jay. I feel guilty somehow." I didn't want to get too upset so I swallowed hard.

"Do you need me there Laila?"

"I couldn't possibly bother you for this."

"Doesn't matter. Do you need me?"

"Yes" I admitted.

"Then I'll be there."

That night I curled up in bed but I wasn't sleeping. There was a storm outside, so I was listening to the noise it made. I was watching the lightning flash when I thought I heard a knock at the door. Curious, I padded downstairs and opened it to reveal a soaking wet Jay.

"Jay! What are you doing here?"

I let him in and immediately went to look for towels.

"I told you I'd be there" he shivered while I helped dry him.

"I didn't think you meant literally! There's a storm outside!"

"I know. But you need me."

I looked at him, his wet curls hanging in his face. "You came all this way just for me?"

"Of course! I'd do it again."

I didn't know what to say so I hugged him. We stood there for a while, Jay now completely shirtless, rocking us slightly. Now that he was here I suddenly remembered how tired I felt, and I yawned involuntarily.

"We should get you to bed" he said softly, separating us.

"Okay" I yawned again, leading the way. I went into my room and he followed, sitting on my bed. "Sorry I have nothing for you to wear."

"That's alright. I have a couple of things in a bag. Shall I go into the office?"

"No... Stay here tonight."

I was already in bed so he just got in beside me, making me feel better already. I liked that he asked no questions.

"James?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks for coming."

"No problem Laila."

"I already feel a bit better."

I didn't have the guts to ask Jay to hold me, but his arms made their way around me on their own. I finally fell asleep in his warmth.