Prologue

I wake up and find myself lying on a hospital bed. I look from my left and right and see a man and a woman on their 50s beside me, holding my left hand.

I move my hand causing them to stir awake from sleeping. The woman starts to cry when she sees me while the man just hugs her as he starts to cry as well.

"Hayoung my child..."

They call me Hayoung.

What's my name?

I can't remember my name.

Is Hayoung my name?

"You're finally awake, Young-ie. Wait, I'll call the doctor." The man says and goes out of the room.

I was left with the woman I didn't know who. I open my mouth to speak but I can't. I find it difficult.

"Who are you?" I want to ask.

"It's me your mother, Hayoung. Do you remember me?" She says as if she had read my mind.

She's my mother?

"And the man who's with me earlier is your father."

My father?

After she introduced their selves to me, the doctor comes in and checks me up. The doctor checks my eyes and some vital signs then he asks me, "Can you speak?"

I nod my head. "Y-yes."

"Do you remember anything happened?"

I look up and try to remember things that happened but my memory is empty. I couldn't remember anything.

My head hurts.

What's happening?!

"W-what happened? Who am I?"

*

"Dear, this is our house." My mother says as we entered inside a fine house that is ours as what she said.

I was discharged from the hospital after a series of tests and questions today, three days after I woke up.

If you're asking me if I already remembered my parents. The answer is no.

I still couldn't remember anything. The doctor said that I have this kind of amnesia which is retrograde.

They're always beside me since the day I woke up so I believed that they really are my parents because they're taking good care of me. Besides, I feel safe when they're around. I could feel their genuine love so I started to call them 'Mom' and 'Dad'.

The doctor explained to me what retrograde amnesia is.

He said that, it is the inability to recall episodic memories and sometimes semantic memories that happened before the brain injury occurred—that's why I can't remember anything from the past even the accident happened to me.

"Mom?" I call because I want to ask something.

"Yes, dear? Do you need something?"

"I just wanna ask if what accident I've been to?" My mother looks at my dad as if she's asking for his permission to answer me.

"Car accident, dear." I furrow my brows.

"I know h-how to drive?"

My mother is about to answer me when my father taps her shoulder, making her closed her mouth.

"Yes, Young-ie. I taught you how to drive when your eighteen."

I nod slightly, sinking the new information inside my head.