Chapter Five - "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

- “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

November passed with no excitement or declarations of love from Sirius – although he had been watching her in a very stalkerish manner – and by early December the staff and students of Hogwarts were looking forward to Christmas. Everyone that is, except for Tasmin. Contrary to every other normal person in the world Tasmin hated Christmas. It was around the time when her parents died all those years ago. For the entire month of December Tasmins nightmares would escalate and take on a more real quality making Tasmin doubt what is real and what is a dream.

                Tasmin had spent the last two weeks with her hair a mundane brown that hung to her elbows limply emphasizing her sickly pale skin, dull brown eyes and the dark bruises under her eyes that were a dead give a way to weeks of terrifying, broken night’s sleep. Every morning saw her throwing up and most days she became so sick she couldn’t go to class. Her health had clearly deteriorated but she refused to go to the hospital wing despite her clearly worried friends’ pleas. Remus had even arranged for her to be locked in the dormitory the night of the full moon so she couldn’t join them and possibly become even sicker or get hurt. She had even missed the first Quidditch match of the year meaning her job as commenter had been handed over to some Ravenclaw.

                The last week of classes before the break was a particularly bad week for Tasmin. Nothing could diminish the horrifying images of her parents’ deaths or of the accident. Images of dead and bloodied bodies haunted her and the refusal to sleep meant even her waking moments were consumed. Her friends tried everything they could to convince her to see someone. Lily begged her tearfully, James tried to bribe her, Sirius tried to carry her to the hospital wing but she managed to protego him from her and Peter said he would tell on her but she threatened to tell everyone he secretly slept with a teddy bear. Remus had yet to try but she knew it was coming.

                Sure enough, on the last day of school Tasmin didn’t show up to class so for the first time in Remus Lupins life he skipped class to take care of her. They didn’t talk much until around mid-day. Tasmin was curled up in the foetal position at the end of Remus’ bed while he rubbed his hand on her back in circles. They were silent and Remus thought she had fallen asleep.

“Tasmin?” he murmured.

“Hm?” she replied sleepily.

“Why won’t you go to the hospital wing? If your sick-”

“I’m not really sick, Remus, not in that way,” She sat up to face him and he saw the rare tears cascade down her cheeks.

“I don’t understand,” he frowned he had seen her throw up every day for the past two weeks.

“There’s a slight, maybe, tiny bit of a chance that…”

“That what?” he encouraged her to continue. Tasmin bit her lip and began to fidget with her hands in her lap as she looked at her feet. She whispered quietly too quiet for him to hear.