Chapter Two - 'They were criminals.'

– ‘They were criminals.’

The next morning saw the four marauders and Tasmin at the Gryffindor table looking very tired indeed. Sirius was half-heartedly shoving scrambled eggs into his mouth while Peter, back from the hospital wing where he had stayed due to the exhaustion he had acquired from walking to Hogwarts from the station after being left behind, licked his plate clean. Remus left his breakfast untouched as he read his Transfiguration book and Tasmin sped read her new DADA book with an ignored spoonful of porridge mid-way to her mouth. James was snoring loudly into his plate of pancakes when Lily sat down next to Tasmin – directly across from James – and threw a teaspoon at his head. He woke with a start and stared open mouthed at Lily who tried not to laugh at his crooked glasses and messy hair which had bits of pancake and butter on them. “Where were you last night?” she inquired.

“Sleeping in my dorm?” James said confused.

“You don’t have a dorm. You have a room in the Head Boy and Girl chambers near the kitchen.” Lily informed him, getting her own pancakes.

“Why am I only being told now?”

“Professor McGonagall told us last night. You obviously weren’t listening.”

                There was a rush of wind as hundreds of owls came into the Great Hall for the morning post. Automatically the group of teenagers lifted their drinks and books when they heard the screech of an old, chestnut brown barn owl before it crash landed on the table right where Sirius’ orange juice had just been. Tasmin leaned forward and untied the letter that was attached to his right leg and began to read the short letter from Olivia. She wished Tasmin good luck on her first day and promised to send a parcel of her favourite sweets at the weekend. She patted the owl and gave him a piece of toast. “Thanks Rowdy.” She cooed as he stood up and ruffled his wings before taking flight.

There was a soft thud as a relatively young owl landed in front of Sirius, who rubbed his hands together before untying the red envelope he had become so accustomed to and pushing the owl to fly along. “Annual Howler from mum,” He called out to the fellow Gryffindor’s, “Place your bets on the number of times I’m called a ‘disappointment’!” There were plenty of shouts from the students placing their customary bets in the thirty second window before the Howler exploded and Mrs Black’s voice rang out in the hall.

“Sirius Black, how dare you run away from home and live with a family of blood traitors. You are a disgrace to the family and have been blown off the family tree! You are a disgrace and a blood traitor and then become a disgrace by becoming a Gryffindor! Yet this is still not enough for you! You had to become involved with a Mudblood! You are a complete and utter disgrace!” There was a moment of silence before a grinning Sirius stood up.

“Alright who was down for only four?” There were a lot of groans and mumbles before Tasmin put her hand up to collect her winnings without even looking up from her book. “Of course it was you.” Sirius grinned.

*

“Taz wait up!” Remus called as he spotted the green haired girl walking down into the dungeons for the first lesson of the year. Tasmin turned around to see Remus only a few feet away now and she gave him a wide smile that light up her - now green - eyes. When he was close enough Tasmin grabbed his hand and walked into their Potions classroom with him by her side. They took a seat at the back of the class and began to unpack their cauldrons and ingredients when the rest of the class arrived.

               Sirius spotted Tasmin and Remus sitting beside each other and laughing and he frowned. He walked over to the two of them and James and Peter followed. When he reached their table he crossed his arms across his chest. “No.” he said simply.