Let them feel that you are there

"If you see that there's something wrong with someone you know, I mean, you know them that well that you could know that there's something wrong, the way they act, something unusual, you can see in their eyes that there's something that is not good happening on their lives, ask them to hang out with you. Let them feel that you're always there for them. Let them feel that you're always willing to listen.

I know someone who killed himself a few weeks ago. He was a friend of mine. He committed suicide, he jumped off his condominium, and you know what? Up until now, nagsisisi ako kung bakit hindi ko siya nireplyan nung chinat niya ako. Thinking that maybe he was already seeking for help, maybe he was seeking for someone who could listen, or maybe he was giving us a chance to prove to him that it's better to be alive, he gave us a chance to change his mind. But yeah, I am one of the people who ignored him. I am one of the people who made him feel that he is alone, I am one one the people who made him feel that nobody gives a f*ck about him. AND THEN, HE ENDED HIS LIFE.

And there's one thing that I realized after that day.

We really have no idea on what is really happening to someone's life. We have no idea what they really feel, and what they're going through. The only thing that we could do is to be a good person, a good person to a friend, to a family, or even to a total stranger.

Miguel, bro, I AM SO SORRY."

Jayson C.
2012
IAS
FEU Manila