soul

" excuse me / have you seen my / soul? / I think I / lost it. / where did I last see it? / over there, by the sea / or / maybe by the gleaming gondolas of Venice / maybe underneath / the Eiffel Tower? / I can't seem to remember / sorry, it's been so many places / and seen so many things / I'm not quite sure who I am anymore / but never mind that / here / if you just hold / the left corner of the sky / I can peer underneath / thanks / just like that / have you ever / lost your soul? / mine doesn't stay in place / sometimes I can see it / soaring over the towers of London / at night / in my dreams / or across the fields of lands / untouched by man / it sings songs sometimes / songs I don't know / and they lull me to sleep / when I don't have the strength / to close my eyes / it goes everywhere / dangerous places / beautiful places / and all the while / I stand still / unable to taste the sun sweet waves / or the blistering moonlight / because I am here / not a wanderess / but a girl / insignificant / with a mouth full of dreams / no one understands / and a soul / that doesn't listen to reason / but / oh / never mind / I think I'll let it go / for if my feet are nailed / to this trembling ground / at least my soul / should get to see the world. "