Chapter Two: Sag. V.S. Aqua.

The days went by, I was finally seventeen, and I had made new friends in my other classes. I became friends with two senior girls in my English class and we had so much fun. They were surprised to see me open up to them because in the beginning they thought I was mean. The first girl I started talking to was Raleigh she was short, very small, and she had a nice brown skin complexion. The other girl was Raleigh’s friend and her name was Tara.

Raleigh always talked about a new guy that she liked. It was like she liked a new guy every week. Meanwhile, Angel and I were still best friends and I told her everything. I even told her that I liked Jason and I usually keep things like that to myself. Angel noticed that every time I saw Jason walking in the hallway I would start smiling and it seemed every other girl would do the same thing including my friend Jazmine.

I wasn’t the only one who had eyes for Jason but I didn’t care I still liked him. All of my friends thought he was very sexy. It was like every time we talked I would like him more. I remember when I was standing in the hallway talking to my friends and I saw Jason walking down the hallway so I turned around and looked at my friends and then I felt a hand softly touch my shoulder I turned around and it was Jason.

I looked at him and smiled and said hey. He said hi back and then he walked away. My friends wouldn’t stop staring at me so I started smiling and they thought that I was smiling because Jason came by. Even Monica had a thing for Jason. I could tell from the beginning that she did. And later on she ended up admitting it, but not in front of him. She just told me. It seemed like every junior girl had a thing for him including Raleigh who was a senior.

One day Raleigh, her friend and I were sitting in the class in our group talking about boys. Well, I wasn’t talking about boys but I was listening. Raleigh started smiling and her friend just knew that she was crushing on some boy, so Raleigh started to confess. 

“It’s this boy, he was born in 91' but his birthday is late.” She said.

 “He’s a junior, I think you know him.” Raleigh said looking at me.

I already knew who she was talking about and at first I didn’t want to say his name, but I did. I asked her was his name Jason and she smiled and said yes. Right then and there my feelings for Jason began to change a little. This kind of happened to me a lot. Every time when too many people like the same thing I like, I tend to stop liking it. It was time to go to lunch and I had to tell Angel. Time went by fast and I didn’t have time to tell Angel what happen and as we were walking back to our class Angel and I saw Jason’s arm around Raleigh and hers around him.

They were walking in a hallway like they were a couple. My stomach began to turn. I wasn’t jealous though because I knew there were other guys out there. As Angel turned the corner to go to her class I went forward. I didn’t want to look like a stalker walking behind them so I walked towards them. I pushed Raleigh in a playful way and said, “Wait till we get back to class, you are gonna get in trouble.”

As I was talking to Raleigh I noticed that Jason moved his arm and he stared at me. As I was playing around with Raleigh, Jason looked at me.

“Hey Jazlynn.” He said once he got my attention. 

As I looked into his eyes I noticed a glare which made him cute to me again, so I said hey.

As I sat in class I tried to think about what had just happened. I was so confused. He acted like he was interested in Raleigh but when he saw me it kind of changed. I was seriously trying hard to get over him. I truly believed that I was over him too until I went to my government class. It was like every time I stared my crush for him came back, but when I thought about what happened today and all of the girls that liked him the crush kind of went away.

All of a sudden I started to develop a bigger crush on Darion, but it didn’t seem like he had any interest in me anymore. It was almost time for the mid winter break and my eyes were focused on Darion. I liked him so much even though I still kind of liked Jason. Everyday for some reason when I would talk to Angel the topic would always be about Darion. I talked about how cute he was, how funny he was, how smart he was, and I even told her how bad I wanted to give him my number to show him I was interested.

It was finally the last day of school before mid winter break and I was in my government class. The day before I told Angel that I was gonna give him my number, and when I tried I couldn’t do it because I was scared. I knew today had to be the day. This song called Let it go kept playing in my head. It was like the person who wrote that song was reading my mind. I knew I couldn’t let my fear get the best of me, but I couldn’t stop shaking. I didn’t want to do it in front of Jason and Monica, so I waited until it was time to go.

The bell rung and before Darion walked out the door I tapped him on the shoulder. I didn’t say anything because I knew words wouldn’t come out. He turned around and looked at me and I gave him the torn piece of paper folded with my number on it. At first he just stared at me confused and then he grabbed it once I told him he would understand if he read it. I walked away before he read it. I walked outside feeling good about what I had just done. I was really changing because the old me would have never done that.

I went home with a smile on my face as I packed my clothes to go over my cousin Kanani house for the week. On my way over there I couldn’t stop thinking about Darion. I tried to get my mind off of him by going on Facebook. I was so bored that my thoughts of Darion continued. Then I heard my phone ring and when I looked at the number I didn’t recognize it. I quickly got excited and scared at the same time. I wanted to answer my phone, but I didn’t.

After my phone stop ringing I decided to send a text message to the unknown number. 

“Um, did someone just call this number?” The text read. 

And I just sat there waiting for an answer. I later on found out that was my grandpa. I felt really stupid. So I just continued to talk to my friends on Facebook and my mind kind of stayed off Darion. Until Angel sent me message on Facebook asking me did Darion call. It was night time and I was just looking for things to do on the computer when I got a text from a strange number.

Okay, so I know what you’re thinking because I am thinking the same thing. 

“This has to be Darion.” 

The text asked for me so I replied to the text by asking who this is. I waited for a few minutes and then I heard my phone ring. I wish it was Darion that sent the text but it wasn’t. It was my friend from my old middle school who found my number on Facebook. Again people, I felt very stupid. It was 4:00 in the morning and not only was I bored but I was finally getting sleepy so I went to sleep.

I woke up the next day and checked my phone for any missed calls or texts. Nothing was found. I was beginning to feel foolish about what I had done and the only thing that made me feel better was to think that maybe he was too scared to call me or something like that. I didn’t want to think about the negative stuff like maybe he was over me, or maybe he has a girlfriend now, etc. But as the days went by and it began to get closer till the end of break I began to think about all of the negative things.

The break was over and it was time to go back to school. Darion never called. I didn’t want to go to school because I was so embarrassed, but I knew I had to get over it. Every class I went to I thought about Darion until it was time for me to go to my government class. I was so nervous to go in the class because I knew it would be awkward between us. I set down in my group and pretended that he wasn’t even there. I talked to Jason and Monica and as I was talking to them I noticed Darion staring at me but I just looked away trying to get over everything before my feelings got hurt. Months went by and I was still single while everyone talked about their relationships and who they were going out on a date with including Darion. But I was over everything and everything went back to normal.