Chapter Twenty-One: Watch your back

“So how did you and your boyfriend meet Valentina?” Valerie asked as all of the girls sat in their dorm.

“Valentina?” Angel asked looking at Tina.

“Valentina is my full name. I’m not a big fan of it so that’s why I always tell people my name is Tina.” She answered.

“Yeah, remember when I would straighten my hair and they would call us ‘the Val sisters’? Valerie asked.

“Yeah I remember that. But Alex and I meet through Angel and her boyfriend Matt. We all went on a double date. I didn’t even like him at first. I thought he was a complete tool.” Tina explained.

“Oh my gosh, isn’t that how love always start?” Valerie laughed.

“I remember she was going to ditch the date too. That would have been so awkward for Matt and I.” Angel joined in with laughter.

“So how did you and Matt meet?” Valerie asked.

“We had the same Anatomy class. I used to have a little crush on him even though we never said anything to each other. I didn’t even think he knew I existed until the day came when we ended up becoming partners for our final project.” 

“Aww, that’s so cute.” Valerie said.

“I can’t wait until you meet him at dinner later.” Angel said with a smile on her face.

The girls all decided to get ready for the friendly dinner they set up for that night. The dinner would include Angel, her roommate Paris, Paris’s boyfriend, Tina, her roommate Valerie, Matt, and Alex. The girls were the first to make it to the restaurant. They continued to talk as Paris’s boyfriend joined them at the table. A few minutes later Matt and Alex showed up.

Angel stood up to greet her boyfriend with a hug and kiss. Tina did the same. Valerie’s mouth dropped when she saw Matt and Angel kissing. Tina once made a joke about Angel dating Valerie’s ex-boyfriend  but she had no idea how true her joke was. Valerie quickly tried to pull herself together.

“Valerie?” Alex said shocked to see her.

Matt quickly looked her way when he heard Alex say her name. His mouth dropped but he quickly pulled himself together because he knew Angel was watching.

“You know her?” Tina asked.

Alex looked at Matt who gave him a look that said Don’t tell them. He looked over at Valerie who gave him the same look. He knew he had to think of something quick but nothing came to mind.

“Yeah we used to have a class together back in high school. It’s nice to see you again Alex.” Valerie said with a smile on her face.

“It’s nice to see you again too. I had no idea you went here.” Alex replied trying to play along.

Tina instantly got the vibe that something wasn’t right but she just ignored it for the time being.

“Well do you know Matt? He and Alex have been best friends for a long time.” Angel said.

“No I don’t think we’ve met before but it’s nice to meet you Matt.” Valerie said just staring at Matt as he looked back at her in disbelief.

“Same to you Valerie.” Matt said knowing it wasn’t nice to see her again.

They all ordered their meals and once the meals were brought out to them they all began to eat. The table was pretty silent. Alex continued to look over at Matt as Matt continued glance over at Valerie who continued to do the same but would quickly look away. Tina continued to watch Alex and finally decided to say something.