Chapter Twenty-Four: Up for the challenge

“So you’re seven weeks pregnant.” My grandmother said.

“That’s what she told me during our appointment.” I said.

“How did you not know you were pregnant? Didn’t you miss your cycle?”

“Yes I did Grams, but I have irregular cycle so I didn’t think it was a big deal.”

“Well you thought wrong. When are you going to tell Darion?”

“I’m not sure I want to tell him until I just have to because it’s noticeable.”

“Why not Jazlynn? Your husband deserves to know something like that.”

“Yeah but if I tell him know then he will only want to make things right because of that. I want him to make things right because he loves me.”

“I see. You know, I got married to your grandfather at a young age. He was a older than me too. My parents didn’t approve at all, but by that time I was already eighteen. My parents threatened to kick me out of the house and everything. I cried to him about that plenty of times back then. I later ended up marrying your grandfather and my parents wanted nothing to do with me. During the beginning of our marriage he was a control freak. I began to doubt our marriage would last because I didn’t know how much I could take, not to mention I had always been a bit of a rebel. Then I thought about how much the both of us sacrificed to be with each other. I pretty much sacrificed my own family to be with him and I knew that was love. All of those things didn’t happen to us for nothing. Giving up is the easy way out Jazlynn. Giving up also proves to those who doubted you in the first place right.”

“The cab is here!” My mother yelled.

“I see a lot of me in you Jazlynn. And if we’re anything alike then I know you have a lot of pride. Which means you won’t give up that easily on your marriage. You’re going to make it work. We’re always up for a challenge.”

“I love you Grams.” I said as I hugged her.

“I love you too Jazlynn. Don’t give up. Keep fighting. Keep fighting for your family.”

Those words continued to play in my head as I waved goodbye to my grandparents. Once the cab took off, I went upstairs to my room. Once I went into the room I looked over at DJ as he continued to sleep. He was starting to look more and more like Darion. Those words Grams said continued to play in my head as I grabbed an old shoe box out of my closet. Once I grabbed the one I was looking for I sat down on the floor next to my bed. I took a deep breath before I opened the box. Once I opened it I began to cry.

“Only being pregnant would make me cry from seeing old pictures from high school.” I said.

I went through each picture slowly. Their was pictures of me during my freshman year in high school. I looked kind of depressed and lonely. Then I saw some pictures from my sophomore year. I was still going through my tomboy stage back then. Seeing the pictures I took with Brian gave me chills. How did I not know I was in love with a psycho? I knew my junior pictures were coming up next. I could tell by the things I wore in those pictures that I changed. The baggy clothes slowly went away my junior year. I was surprised when I saw pictures of Angel and I at the beach the day Charles and I talked. Then tears fell down my face again when I saw the picture Tina took that night Darion and I became a couple. Once I got to pictures of my senior year I saw Brian again which gave me chills. Then their were pictures of me and Darion. The last two pictures I saw really made me cry. The first one was a picture of Darion and I on our wedding day. The last picture in the box was a picture of me holding DJ with Darion. I looked so happy. I was a mess, but I was a happy mess. After looking at those pictures I couldn’t imagine being without Darion. I was so focused on the bad things that were going on that I forgot about the good. I couldn’t let my marriage go because of a friend. I couldn’t believe I doubted my marriage after everything we’ve been through.