Chapter One

Hi! I really hope y'all will like the story. Just give it a chance:)

Yes!!! The image in the media box is Aubrey aka Katherine McNamara❤💙❤

Have fun reading

Thank you for choosing HF :)

Chapter One...

My life was anything but normal. I never got to play with other kids in the park when I was five or have cotton candy while chasing those butterflies-- I mean, you get the idea.

I never went to shopping to buy new clothes with mom when I grew inches on my small frame and when my neighbors' kids clothes didn't fit me anymore.

I never went to school and got to make friends and then go out with them to movies, plays, beach parties-- or any party for that matter. When I hit my periods in ninth grade, I didn't have anyone to tell me what and how to do. When I turned fifteen and instead of thinking about boys and crushing over them and then yammering all night about them with my best friends-- which I never had-- I worked my ass off-- outside and at home.

I started learning how to cook and take care for myself and my parents when I turned seven. And then one day my mom died, leaving me completely helpless in the hands of the man I was supposed to call my father.

How could she?

I wrapped the worn out harsh material of my towel around me tighter than necessary, reliving the memory of her dead on the floor as if it happened last night and not all those years ago.

The wound will never heal.

She got out, is all that matters. I thought and kept repeating it because it's the truth. I heaved long struggled deep breaths in my lungs and walked forward.

Yeah... so last week when my father told me that I could go to school, everything in me jumped back afraid. Not happy that he agreed. Almost terrified. But then he explained how getting a diploma from school rather than by getting homeschooled would profit him in near future. His logic? I would get a better job. Better pay. And he would drink and get high and gamble more frequently without having to skip any days in a week at all.

I didn't care why he agreed to let me go to high school. He agreed! That's what mattered to me.

And, it was really really happening. I didn't know if I should be happy or I should be dreading it with every fiber in my body or if I even should feel anything at all.

It took me couple of pinches, just to make sure it wasn't a dream. Because then it would hurt a lot.

But it was true.

Though, the first time I suggested going to a real school which was a year ago...it took a lot of beating and curses from him to make sure I would never think of it again.

But I never gave up easy. I spoke of it again and this time he honestly surprised me. But, he did push me and yanked my hair, threatening me while giving me his own list of Don'ts. Because they'd never be a list of Dos from him.

I'd agreed to all-- like I had a choice. I wouldn't upset him. Not because I care. I stopped caring when I developed any sense of understanding in me.

Now, I didn't have to fake going to school anymore whenever the government officials who came to check up on us-- on me-- would visit. And honestly, it was a huge deal for me. Many people my age might dread high school and studying but, to me it was my church, temple call it whatever you want. It was one place that made me feel something... like a thrill of knowing everything. I could easily escape my reality by just concentrating on solving a difficult algebra equation, or by hypothetically living in a small town made by Jane Austen. That's the most normal I had and would have in my life.