Chapter 8

"Tintin. Kate." I groaned wondering what that noise was. Something was on top of me I opened my eyes and saw Tintin just as confused as me with the position we were in. 

"Come and warm yourself, laddie." We both turned to the fire lit in the center of the boat.  

"Captain?" Tintin asked confused sitting up from me. 

"What have you done?" I asked sitting up from the position is was in. Tintin stood in front of me. 

"No need to thank me." He's been drinking that's for sure. The captain was warming his hand by the fire. 

"What?" Tintin confused about why the Captain said what he said just now. 

"Well, you too looked a little cold lying together, so I lit a wee fire." Tintin started to kick the fire trying to get it to die down. 

"In a boat!" Tintin shouted at him still trying to stop the fire. 

"No those are our oars." I said watching as Haddock picked up to oar from the side of the boat. "We need those." I continued. 

"Yes, but not for much longer," Haddock said snapping the wooden oar in half. I went to the side of the boat pushing water from the water below us into the fire.

"Have you gone mad?" Tintin said also doing the same thing as me. "Quick, Captain, help us!" Tintin said as we both continued to put water onto the fire. 

"Captain, help us, quick!" I said following him up on what Tintin was saying. How much did he drink and where did he get it all from?

"There right. What have I done?" It was like he was talking to someone that wasn't on the boat. "What have I done?" He repeated to himself frantically looking around looking for something to stop the fire. Our eyes met the same thing, no he's not going to. He picked up a half-empty whiskey bottle. 

"No, Captain, not that!" Both me and Tintin shouted as he poured the alcohol onto the fire. Tintin pulled me back from the blast the whiskey brought. 

"Thundering typhoons!" Was all he had to say as I looked up to the huge smoke cloud above us. We quickly flipped the boat before a hole was made and sat on top of the boat. I held my knees looking straight ahead to the horizon. 

"Well, this is a fine mess." Tintin started off, I looked back over to him, sitting the left of me while Snowy was on my right. 

"I'm weak," Haddock responded with not even looking at Tintin but at the water in front of him.

"We're stranded here..." Tintin went on and I just watched Haddock the whole time. 

"Selfish." Haddock does have a lot of emotions. I thought raising an eyebrow at him. The two of them went on.

"... with no hope of rescue..."

"I'm hopeless."

"...while Sakharine and his men are halfway to Bagghar," Tintin said finishing on with his rant, pointing the blame at the Captain. Even if it was his fault. 

"Poor, miserable wretch!" Haddock shouted at himself doing a weak punch to himself.

"Yes alright, that's enough of that. I bet that explosion got someone's attention since they know where alive." I said looking around for any signs of life or even a boat. 

"It was his fault, you see. It was Sir Francis." Haddock said talking to the both of us. 

"Tell me, how did you work that one out?" Tintin asked the captain. 

"Because he was a figurehead of great courage and bold exploits. No one like him ever existed in my family." Tintin rolled his eyes as the man's answer, as did I.  "Why do you think I drink? Because I know I'll never be like him. No, it's far better that I end it now." By the end, he was standing on the boat.