Chapter Seventeen

It was late at night and we were with Rapunzel and Flynn. Prince was trying to get them to say the important lines of dialogue that they were supposed to say in the cave but didn't. They were supposed to reveal secrets about themselves, Flynn revealing that his real name is Eugene, and Rapunzel revealing that her hair is magic. 

I was listening to Prince talk to them and trying not to cringe. He wasn't exactly being subtle.

"So," Prince said. "You guys seem pretty cool and all, and you know, it's a tradition where I come from to reveal something about yourself at a campfire. And look, there's a campfire."

I sighed.

"I'll go first." Prince said. "I go by Prince, but my real name is Roman."

Prince looked directly at Flynn and put emphasis on the "real name" part, which only made it ten times more cringeworthy.

"Okay, now it's Flynn's turn." Prince said.

Flynn looked like he didn't really know what to make of it.

"Okay, okay, okay." I said, stopping Prince. "C'mon, Prince, let's go collect firewood."

I grabbed Prince's arm and practically dragged him out of the area.

Once we were far enough away, I let him go. "That's not gonna work. Flynn has to willingly reveal his real name, and he has to reveal it to Rapunzel. It's part of the whole trust and budding romance sort of thing."

"You didn't have to drag me," Prince rubbed his arm. "God, Anxiety."

"You'll live." I said.

Prince started to say something, but I stopped him.

"Shh, Flynn and Rapunzel just started talking. C'mon." I whispered, and led Prince to a spot behind a bush where we could hear Flynn and Rapunzel but not be seen. 

"I wonder what Prince... No, Roman... meant by the whole campfire thing." Rapunzel said, trying to make conversation.

"I think he wanted us to reveal something. It was strange... It was almost like he knew." Flynn said.

I glared at Prince and gestured to Flynn.

"He knows you know." I whispered. 

"Don't know how he knows." Prince whispered back.

"Well, you weren't exactly King Subtle." I hissed.

"I'm not a king. What about Prince Subtle?" Prince replied.

"You're hopeless." I sighed and turned my attention back to Rapunzel and Flynn.

"Knew what?" Rapunzel asked.

"Well..." Flynn hesitated. "My real name."

"Your real name?" Rapunzel repeated.

Flynn nodded. "Eugene Fitzherbert."

"Your real name is Eugene Fitzherbert?" Rapunzel asked.

"Yes." Flynn said. "When I was a kid... When I was a kid, I had nothing. No family, no money, nothing. There was a book that I used to read to the other kids in the orphanage. The Tales Of Flynnigan Rider. Swashbuckling rogue, richest man alive, not bad with the ladies, either... Not that he'd ever brag about it, of course."

"Was he a thief, too?" Rapunzel asked. She didn't mean any harm by it.

"Ah... Well, no." Flynn said. "Actually, he had enough money to do anything. He could go anywhere he wanted to go, do anything he wanted to do. And for a kid with nothing... I dunno. Just seemed like the better option." Flynn paused. "You can't tell anyone about this. It would ruin my whole reputation."