somniphobia

somniphobia: the fear of sleep; being terrified of what might happen right after falling asleep

>>>>>month six<<<<<

him

luke clambered through luna's bedroom window, all legs trying to squeeze through the tiny space. luna couldn't keep her laughter in as she watched him fall to the floor knocking various books from her desk sprouting a scarlet blush over his cheeks.

"shhh!" she giggled crouching down next to him. her laughter was literal music to his ears, chiming like bells in the wind bringing a smile to luke's lips as he continued to gawk at the girl in awe. she averted her eyes scanning the room just so she wouldn't have to keep her focus on him, he was aware she was uncomfortable and each time she passed through the streetlight beaming against the glass she flinched but never once said a word as to why, leaving luke to wonder.

____________________

her

luna was woozy; utterly drained from running, from luke, from the hangover that she couldn't seem to shake no matter how long she slept. she wanted nothing more than to climb into her memory foam bed and sleep for the next three eternities; her head throbbed and her body ached but still she shambled on giving luke the illusion that nothing could possibly be bothering her. moving slowly luna sighed, shoving various items into her duffle bag avoiding luke's gaze to no avail. his eyes stayed on her waiting patiently for her to finish gathering her things.

"do you need some help, love?" he asked quietly, blinking those ocean eyes at her.

"no lukey, i'm almost done..." she trailed off hoping he wouldn't notice her tight grip on the wooden bed post. she needed to rest even for just a few minutes before she spewed the contents of her nearly empty stomach all over the rug.

"luna?" luke stood, moving swiftly across the room to catch her before she collapsed. "here, lay down. are you okay? what's wrong?"

she couldn't tell him, oh but she wanted to. she wanted to spill every little detail of the illness she hadn't shared with a soul since her diagnosis. however, looking at luke she knew that one day -very soon- he would find out and she would be the cause of his heartbreak. if she told him now he still had the opportunity to walk away, luna felt he deserved that courtesy. so she took a breath, blinking away hot tears as she gazed up at him. "i need to tell you something and i'm beyond fucking terrified to say it, okay?" luke inhaled sharply, steeling himself against the bedpost visibly needing its support to keep from losing his balance; luna's stomach clenched with guilt at the obvious dread pumping through his body. his eyes drained of all vibrancy and his skin clammy as luna tried to conjure up the words she needed.

distantly a car door slammed, far beyond the couples radar for they were lost within themselves, desperately trying to realign their auras. luna couldn't breathe and luke was nearly in tears worried she no longer wanted him; neither of them able to speak, their insecurities screaming louder than any coherent thought that could've been formed. they sat silently, one waiting for the other to speak, yet there was absolutely nothing but the unsettling stillness that encased the couple.

shoes clopping against stairs warp them back into motion, their eyes meeting for half a second before luna begins shoving everything in sight into a bag while luke struggles to shove himself back through the window.

luna whispered a frantic "luke!" making the boy look up from climbing down the trellis, nearly losing his footing. Without any sort of warning luna drops her bag directly on top of luke's head before clambering out the window herself just before the door slung open. luna heard the grumblings of her father unable to make out what he said, luna peaked over the windowsill just long enough to see the obviously intoxicated man sobbing into her pillows.

For a moment -just a fraction of a second- she considered staying there with her parents. Until luke tugged on her shoe and she met the boys' eyes; luna smiled weakly before dropping down next to him with a heavy breath. luke interlocks their fingers tugging luna forward, running toward luke's old car without anymore recovery time. luna could feel the exhaustion tugging deep within her muscles, she was ready to sleep, halfway ready to give up. she hadn't felt this kind of tiredness in what seemed like ages; it creeped through her in search of the darkest corners to hide in.

once they had made it to luke's car luna collapsed inside taking shallow breaths. luke climbs in the drivers side, the widest grin luna had ever seen was plastered across his face as he took her hand in his. "Where to, miss?" He chuckles, kissing the back of my hand.

"Anywhere but here." luna sighed, focusing on the warmth of luke's hands rather than the pulsing through her body.

____________________

him

luke parked in front of michael's house, knowing this would be the perfect place to come up with a getaway plan. he wasted no time tumbling excitedly out of the driver side, rushing around to aid luna as she got out of the vehicle. luke couldn't contain his emotions, he was too pumped up to be doing this with luna. he was so pleased he took her hand in his, bringing it to his lips before giving it a squeeze; calum answered the side door to the basement, or better known as michael's "apartment" since his parents gave him all the space in the world.

"c'mon on in guys! we're getting fuuuuucked up tonight!" he cheers, and i feel luna stiffen briefly. "ready to become a party girl, miss luna?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a/n: filler chapter bc i'm the worstttttt. something major maaaaay happen in the next chapter, def stick around ^--^ p.s. my bestie made a fan-fucking-tastic trailer/edit for this story!! so totally check it out! ohhhhh i totes didn't edit this either i'm sorry