0

"Happy birthday, Dan. Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang.

I let out a laugh as I blew out my candles.

"What'd you wish for?" mum asked.
"I'm not telling," I smiled.
"Holy shit, you're seventeen," Chris said. "You're nearly a man." He teased as he hit my shoulder.
"Christopher, no swearing in my house, please," mum warned.
"Sorry, Mrs. Howell."
"It's quite alright," she insisted. "Okay, Dan, would you like to cut the cake?"
"Hell yeah!"

I grabbed the knife and cut into the triple chocolate cake. Once I cut myself a slab, I plopped it on my plate, and walked off into the lounge. Mum stayed behind and cut some for the rest of the guests. After PJ and Chris got their pieces, they joined me on the couch.

"When are you gonna start trying to find work, Howell?" PJ asked.
"I don't know, I'm kinda busy with school."
"Bullshit!" Chris yelled.
"Christopher!" mum yelled from the dining room.
"Sorry," he hollered. "Like I was saying, no. You couldn't care less about school and how you do."
"You're right?" I chuckled.
"So what're you doing after everyone leaves?" PJ asked.
"I was kinda hoping you guys could stay, we could get drunk, and just chill."
"'S your mum okay with you drinking?" Chris raised a brow.
"No, but my dad's pretty chill. I'm sure if he catches us he won't say anything."
"I'm alrighty with that," Chris nodded. "So who was that chick you fucked last week?"
"Clara," I laughed. "She was a bit bland, but hell, I made her squeal like a pig."
"Nice," the boys chuckled.
"Mm, what ever happened to that Cassidy girl you were seeing?" PJ asked.
"She was starting to get really weird and kinda distant so I broke it off."
"Smart," he said.
"Plus, she moved to like Manchester or Bristol or something. I don't know, but she's gone." I took a sip of my beer. "Are you guys getting any action?"
"Yeah; that Sophie and I are getting pretty close," PJ said.
"Cool... what about you, Chris?"
"Nope, I'm a lone wolf."
"Good to know," I smirked. "Who should I go after this week?"

Hours passed, and surely enough, family members started to leave. By ten o'clock, no one except my family and my two friends were left.

"Dan, your father and I are heading to bed. I hope you had a happy birthday."
"I did, mum," I beamed.
"Night, bub."
"Night, son," dad yawned.
"Night guys," I smiled.

As soon as they went upstairs for the night, I raced into the kitchen and grabbed as many beers as I could carry. I set them up on the table, handed one to Chris and PJ, then cracked them open. After a few beers, we started getting buzzed. As midnight was approaching, we were getting drunker by the minute. Around 11:50 I heard someone knock on the door.

"I got it," I mumbled.

I set my beer down on the coffee table and headed for the front door. I looked through the peep hole and saw no one. I shrugged and opened the door.

"Hello?" I called.
"Who's there?" Chris yelled.
"No one," I said.

I took a few steps outside and my foot knocked into something. I stumbled, but caught myself on the doorframe. I glanced down and nearly collapsed.

"Fuck... C-Chris! PJ! Could you come here, please!"