18

"For the first time, please welcome, Mr. and Mr. Williams!" PJ announced over the microphone.

Everyone in the reception hall cheered and clapped as the happy couple walked into the room. I held Charlotte up on my hip and we both clapped. When the crowd calmed down a bit, I made my way over to Louise.

"I did something bad," I panicked.
"What's wrong?" she asked.
"I can't say it in front of Charlotte."
"Okay, um..." she hummed. "PJ!" she hollered.
"Yeah?" He raised a brow.
"Watch Charlotte for like five minutes, please," she said.
"Sure," he shrugged.

I handed Charlotte to PJ and dragged Louise out of the room.

"What's up?" she asked.
"I did something really bad..." I bit at my nails.
"What'd you do?"
"Phil and I kissed last night..."
"You what?" she hissed. "Why?"
"I-I don't know! He kissed me and I didn't stop him," I pouted.
"Wait... you didn't say he was the one that kissed you... Well that's a whole other issue."
"Am I a bad person?"
"For what, sweetie?"
"For not stopping him."
"No, you're not." She rubbed my back.
"I did try to talk him out of the wedding though," I mumbled.

Louise closed her eyes and let out a sigh. She bit the inside of her cheek to keep her from yelling at me.

"You're an idiot, you know that, right?"
"I was just trying to help!" I yelled.
"And how would stopping a wedding help anything?"
"They're not right for each other," I whined. "David is such an asshole! A jealous, abusive asshole! Phil deserves so much better than him," I huffed.
"And who do you think he deserves? You?"
"What? No! I'm straight..."
"Are you?"
"Yes, of course I am."
"You have too much pride, my dear," she sighed.

She pat my back and walked back into the reception hall. I leaned against the hallway wall and tried to stop myself from crying. After I collected myself, I headed back into the hall and grabbed Charlotte from PJ.

"Thanks," I mumbled.
"No problem."
"Can you say thank you?" I asked Charlotte. I bounced her up and down on my hip. "Thank you?"

She just buried her face into the crook of my neck. I whined a bit and tried to move her head to my shoulder. After several attempts to get her to stop, I gave up and let her cling to me uncomfortably.

"So how's life in Manchester going?" PJ asked.
"It's not bad. Are you still living on campus?"
"Yeah, you're not?"
"Dude," I said.
"Sorry," he laughed. "You gave me an opportunity and I took it."
"Asshole," I smirked.
"How's Charlie been?"
"She's been good," I smiled. "Normally she's really well behaved. I have no idea why she's being so shy."
"She was like this at your graduation too, right?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Maybe she's a little shy bitch like her daddy."
"Okay, first of all, don't refer to her as a bitch," I warned. "Second of all, I'd rather her be an introvert rather than an extrovert."
"Why?"
"Just cause," I shrugged.
"Oh, hello there, pretty girl," Phil gushed.

He wanted over to us with his new husband by his side. I shot David an evil glare before facing Phil. He was holding her hands and kissing her cheeks. She giggled in response and started dribbling all over her dress.

"I got it," Phil insisted. He snagged a napkin off a random table and wiped her mouth. "All better, princess," he smiled. "Would you mind if I held her for a bit?"
"No, not at all," I said.
"Thanks," he whispered. "Hi Charlie. Can you say: hi Phil?" She pouted and rested her head on his forehead. "What's the matter with her?"
"She's cranky," I said. "Doesn't like social events, I guess."
"Phil, give the kid back; we have to say hi to some of my friends."
"Why can't I carry Charlotte around? I miss her."
"Whatever." David rolled his eyes. "Come on."
"I'll bring her back later," Phil said, aimlessly following David around the room.

After a while, David and I ran into each other at the open bar. I was waiting for my drink as David just stood there. I quietly scoffed and looked away.

"What's your problem with me?" David asked.

Shit, not quietly enough.

"I don't have a problem with you," I lied.
"Please, darling, spare me. Phil's not around; why don't you tell me how you really feel about me."
"You really wanna know?" He nodded. "You're an evil man who doesn't deserve someone as good as Phil, and–"
"And you are?" he chuckled.
"Did I say that?" I spat.
"No, but I know it's what you're thinking."
"No, you don't."
"Mhmm, I'm sure," he smirked. "Look here–"
"Dan!" Phil called.

Ignoring David, I ran over to Phil.

"What? What's wrong?"
"Look," he beamed.

I glared to the floor—my gorgeous little girl was stumbling towards Phil. Tears rushed to my eyes as I knelt down with open arms. She walked into my arms, collapsing once I got a grip on her.

"Good job, goose," I cried. I kissed her head and smiled. "I'm so proud of you."

I placed kiss after kiss after kiss on her head. She started laughing and swinging her arms around. I set her on my hip as I stood up.

"Sorry she stole your thunder on your special day," I teased.
"It's fine," he insisted. "I'd rather have my princess's first steps be the center of attention rather than some drunk uncle dancing without a shirt."
"You have a point," I said.
"Phil," David snapped. "Come on, we have to cut the cake."
"I gotta go," he sighed. "Miss Charlotte, you're gonna get the first piece, okay?" She giggled.
"She's picky with sweets... I don't know if she'll like it."
"How could she not? It's her favorite," he smiled. "Triple chocolate..."
"You didn't have to do that," I said.
"Phil!" David yelled. "Come on!"
"Go," I said.

Charlotte and I, along with the rest of the guests, watched the newlyweds cut their cake. Phil, thinking it'd be funny, mushed the cake in David's face; David smushed it right back. After they cleaned themselves up, they started cutting slices for everyone.

"Here you go, princess," Phil smiled.

He handed me the plate and we went back to our table. I pulled out a bib, so Charlotte wouldn't get her dress messy. Once she was done smashing her cake, and attempting to get some in her mouth, she became very sleepy. I cleaned her up, packed the bib away, and brought her into the hallway.

I paced back and forth with her nodding off on my shoulder. Normally, I'll read her a story to help her sleep, but unfortunately I had no books on hand. I let out a sigh and started quietly singing.

"I love you, a bushel and a peck... a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck... a hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap... barrel and a heap and I'm talkin' in my sleep about you... about you... Cause I love you, a bushel and a peck... you bet your pretty neck I do–"
"A doodle oodle oh... a doodle oodle oodle oh doo," Phil chuckled.
"Hey," I whispered.
"Hi," he said. "She asleep?"
"Yeah, I think so. What's up?"

Phil let out a quiet sigh. I raised a brow and continued lightly bouncing Charlotte.

"Phil?"

He closed his eyes and planted a kiss on my lips. I scrunched my eyes and leaned into him. Before I could thoroughly enjoy his sweet, soft lips, he pulled away. Before I could say anything, he put a finger to my parter lips. He flashed me a warm smile.

"I love you, a bushel and a peck," Phil continued singing. "A bushel and a peck though you make my heart a wreck... make my heart a wreck... and you make my life a mess... make my life a mess... yes, a mess of happiness, about you..." He kissed me again. "About you..."