14

"How do I look?" I asked.

I strolled out into the lounge in my graduation cap and gown. Phil flashed me a smile as he held Charlotte on his hip.

"You look really good," he whispered.
"Thanks," I chuckled. "Come here, pretty girl."

I took Charlotte from Phil's arms and spun her around. Afterwards, I fixed her lavender dress and adjusted her scrunchy white bow.

"Thanks for getting her dressed," I mumbled.
"It was no big deal," Phil said. "Oh, I almost forgot." Phil walked into his room, but shortly returned with a gift bag. "I got you this."

I set Charlotte down on the couch and grabbed the bag from Phil. I took out the tissue paper to reveal a decorated piece of paper. It read: "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." The pretty purple letters were surrounded by scattered balloons and Winnie the Pooh stickers.

Tears found their ways to my eyes as I glared at the cap. Before anyone got the chance to say something, I attacked Phil with a hug. I started crying into his shoulder.

"Thank you," I whispered. "Thank you so much..."
"It's just a piece of paper to go on your cap; it's literally no big deal."
"I know, but it's just so thoughtful. Did Charlie help you decorate it?"
"She put on the stickers, yeah," Phil chuckled.
"Thank you..."

I took my cap off and stuck the paper on. I smiled at Phil and adjusted my gown.

"How do I look, now?"
"Fantastic," he said.
"Come on, Miss Charlotte, it's time for daddy to graduate." I picked her up and let her rest on my hip.
"Hey..." Phil stopped me.
"Yeah?"
"Does anyone other than Louise know about you know who?"
"No," I sighed. "But, I'm not gonna bring anything up. If someone asks, then I'll tell them, but if they don't then I won't."
"Sounds like a plan," he said. "Come on, you don't want to be late."

***

"Dada," Charlotte cried.

Phil was holding her on his lap during the ceremony. Because of the heat and the lack of entertainment, she started screaming and kicking. All the parents around Phil gave him and Charlotte dirty looks.

"Sir, if your child can't control herself, take her out," a random parent spat.
"Look, she's not mine; she belongs to my friend."
"Then where is he?"
"Graduating," he hissed.
"Well, please calm her down. Some of us are trying to record our children and we don't want that stupid child's crying in the background."
"Sorry her uncomfortableness is so hard on you."
"No need to be rude."
"Speak for yourself. Please don't speak to me again."
"Dada!" She continued crying.
"Hush, Charlie, it's okay..."

He rubbed her back as he tried soothing her; didn't work. He tried giving her a few bits of cereal; she swat them out of his hand. He tried giving her a soppy cup of water; she spit it out.

"God you're being difficult," he sighed. "You're normally so good at home. What's going on with you?"
"Hi, sorry we're late," mum apologized. "Is she fussing?"
"Yes," Phil groaned. "Hi, I'm I don't think Dan's ever introduced us—I'm Phil."
"Hello, Phil," mum beamed. "We're Mr. and Mrs. Howell, and that's our other son Adrian."
"Wait..." The annoying lady turned around. "You're Howell's parents?"
"Yes... why?"
"That arrogant thing is such a show off in class. Well, according to my son, at least."
"Did you just call my son arrogant?" Mum asked.
"Yeah, I did. He's also clearly not-so-bright."
"Excuse me!" Dad scoffed. "He's a very smart kid!"
"Tell that to the thing sitting on that kids lap."
"Don't call my granddaughter a thing! She's a human being!" Mum argued.