6

"I'm a little teapot, short and stout," I sang to Charlotte. I was on my back and I was holding her above my head as I sang. "Here is my handle, here is my spout. When I get all steamed up, hear me–"

Bryony is Calling...

"Hold on, baby." I kissed her cheek and set her down on her play mat. I grabbed my phone off the coffee table and accepted the call. "Hello?"
"Hey, Danny boy! How the hell are you?"
"I'm fine. How are you?"
"I'm good, I'm good. I haven't seen you all summer; where have you been?"
"I've been busy," I said.
"Did you get a job?"
"Yep, I sure did," I sighed. "What's up? Why're you calling?"
"I'm having a party tomorrow night. Was wondering if you wanted to come?"
"Who's going? Anyone I know?"
"There's a few girls you shagged, then there's PJ and Chris, and–"
"What girls?"
"I'm sorry?"
"What girls that I fucked are going?"
"Shit, I don't know all of them."
"Please think..."
"Well, there's Victoria, Meredith, Allison–"
"Is Cassidy going?"
"It was a maybe from her. She's been acting really weird lately. Why?"
"Just wondering..."
"So are you coming?"
"I'll think about it."
"M'kay, it's gonna be at my house if you decide to drop by. There's gonna be hot girls and booze. What more do you need?" she laughed.
"I said I'll think about it. I gotta go."

End Call.

"Sorry, darling."

I picked her up again and continued with the song. She started giggling and flailing her arms around. She always loved it when we played airplane or  rocket ship. She loved feeling bigger and taller than everything around her. It always made her laugh, and I could get drunk off her innocent laughter.

***

"And don't get too drunk tonight," Phil said.
"I won't."
"If you're too drunk to drive, stay at Bryony's house. If you only have a slight buzz and are sober enough to not die while driving, go to your parents house and crash there. Better yet, take an Uber or something. If, for whatever reason, you don't drink at all, come home."
"Yes, mum," I teased.
"Please be safe and don't sleep with anyone. My flat isn't big enough for another human."
"Yeah, yeah. No sex, I got it."
"Good—I'll see you when you get home."
"Alright. Bye, goose; be good for Phil." I kissed Charlotte's cheek. "And you." I gestured to Phil. "No boyfriend when you're watching my kid."
"I'm breaking one of my rules by watching her while you go out to party. I should be allowed whoever I want to come over."
"Phil..."
"No boyfriend; I promise."
"Thank you. Bye, guys."

***

"Hey! You made it!" Bryony greeted. "Come in, come in!"

She dragged me inside and closed the door behind me. Music was booming throughout the house. There was a sea of drunk teens grinding against one another everywhere I looked. I forgot what partying was like.

"Hey, loser," Chris said. "We are getting drunk tonight."
"Okay," I smiled. "Get some something to drink."
"Here, man."

PJ tossed me a cold can of beer. I downed the beer and immediately asked for another. After a few drinks, I joined the 'dancing' group of teens in the lounge. I snagged a random girl and started grinding on her. After a song or two, she turned around and we started making out.

"C'mon."

The girl bit her lip and dragged me upstairs. She found an empty bedroom, pushed me inside, and closed the door behind her. We both fell onto the bed and started grinding our hips together. A couple minutes passed, before I stopped what I was doing.

"Something wrong?" she asked.
"I can't do this..."
"Can't do what?"
"As gorgeous as you are, in good conscience, I can't have sex with you."
"Why not?"
"I just can't... I'm sorry..."
"Why–"
"Zoe, get out," Cassidy huffed.
"Cassie," she whined. "Why're you always cock-blocking me?"
"Because you're drunk out of your mind."

Cassidy grabbed her arm and yanked the drunk girl off of me. She shoved her out of the room then slammed the door behind her. I sat up on the bed and brought my legs to my chest.

"Hi, Cassie," I mumbled. She walked over to me and slapped me across the face. "Fuck! Ah, I deserve that..." I groaned.
"You're an asshole, Daniel James Howell!" she scolded.
"So I've been told," I said. "What do you want?"
"Why the hell are you trying to fuck my best friend?" she yelled.
"How was I supposed to know that she's your friend?"
"Haven't you fucking learned after your little mistake."
"Don't call her that," I warned.
"Why not? She ruined my life and I'm positive she's ruining yours."
"How the hell did she ruin your life?"
"I can never trust another guy!"
"Hey, I wore a condom!"
"Then how do you explain it being here?"
"She's not an object!" I got up from the bed and shoved Cassidy. "She is a human being who I love!"
"If you love her so much, why are you here?"
"Everyone needs a break every once in a while."
"It's only been, what? A month and a half? By the time a year rolls around, I won't be surprised if you put her up for adoption," she scoffed.
"You're wrong..." Tears started crowding my eyes. "I love her... I wouldn't give her up for the world..."
"You're a fucking idiot, do you know that?"
"Leave me alone."

I pushed past her and walked out of the room. I ran down the stairs and out of the house. I got in my car and sped away from the party. After somehow finding my way, I parked in my parents driveway. I stumbled out of the car, knocked on the door, and waited for someone to let me in.

"Dan?" mum answered. "It's late... what are you doing here?"
"I need a place to sleep for the night... is that okay?"
"Yeah. Is everything okay at home?"
"Yeah, I just came from a party and I'm too drunk to drive all the way back to Manchester."
"Who's watching Charlotte?"
"Phil."
"And who's Phil when he's at home?"
"My roommate."
"How do you know you can trust him with the baby?"
"He's a student teacher and works at a daycare when the school is on summer holiday."
"Good to know she's in somewhat reliable hands. Come in," mum sighed.
"Thanks," I mumbled.
"So how's the baby?"
"She's good... smiling, laughing... it's really cute," I said as I fell back on the couch. "Hey mum."
"Yeah?"
"Can you transfer me to a school in Manchester... the drive out here bites."
"Of course," she giggled. "Night, Dan."
"Night, mum."

As soon as she headed upstairs, I pulled out my phone and called Phil.

"Hello?" he answered.
"Hey! Can I talk to Charlie?"
"You do know that she can't talk yet, right?"
"I'm aware," I pouted. "Just let me talk to her."
"She's sleeping, Dan."
"Then put the phone next to her ear, wait a minute or two, then take the phone back. Very simple."
"Fine," he sighed. He walked into my room and put the phone by Charlotte's ear.
"Hi, silly goose... it's daddy. I know that I'm not home today, but I promise I'll be back tomorrow morning. I love you, Charlie... I'll see you soon... I'm gonna have Phil given you a nice, big kiss on the cheek for me. Bye, goose..."
"Hey, I didn't cut you off, did I?"
"No, I just finished. Hey, can you do me a favor?"
"Yeah, what's up?"
"Can you please give her a goodnight kiss for me?"
"Awe, does Danny miss his baby?"
"Stop teasing," I pouted. "Please just–"
"Yeah, yeah, I will."
"Thank you... night."
"Night."

I hung up and let out a sigh. I rested my arms on my face and tried relaxing.

"You love her, don't you?" Mum asked.
"Jesus Christ," I gasped. "You scared me..."
"You love that little girl, huh?"
"Yeah, I do. So?" I mumbled.
"So nothing; I just think it's sweet."
"And you wanted me to safe drop her," I scoffed.
"I'm still not completely opposed to it..."
"Mum!"
"What?"
"I love her..."
"You've been with her for a month and a half," she rolled her eyes. "You're probably not gonna be loving her so much when you have to balance her, work, and school. And you are not dropping out of school for her."
"And what if I do?"
"Daniel James Howell, don't play this game with me." She ground her teeth together. "Whatever! Just do whatever! I don't care! Goodnight, drunky!"
"Night–" hiccup "bitch..."