chapter 17

EMILIA

Nick and I spent the night together, he took care of me...again. Its been a week since I got back and I've been with Nick the whole time. I've been ignoring Jeremiah's calls and texts since we came back. Unfortunately, back to reality...I violated the contract. I slept with someone who wasn't Jeremiah and I don't regret it one bit.

I get up from bed and I look at Nick sleeping. I smile and I grab a pair of clean underwear and pull them up my legs. I clip on my bra and I don't know what to wear.
I'll just put on a pair of black ripped skinny jeans with a black tank top on revealing a little cleavage and I slip on a long cardigan. I turn to Nick whose still sleeping and I smile.

I walk over to him and kiss his cheek. "I have to run a few errands, I'll be back. Wait for me." I whisper in his ear and he nods. I chuckle and then grab my phone and keys.
I walk out my room and grab my purse near the door.

I drive to Jeremiah's office building and park in the garage. I then take the elevator to the inside. I show my badge to the guards and take the elevator up to his level.

I walk up to the front desk lady, "Hi I'm here to see Jeremiah- I mean Mr. Olivera." I say and show my badge.
"You'll have to wait a few minutes, ma'am. He's on an important business call." I nod and smile. "Its fine, I'll wait." She nods and I sit down in a chair.

After waiting for a few minutes. The front desk lady calls me over. "He's off the phone, you may go in if you wish." I smile, "Thank you." I say and walk towards the doors to his office.
I look at the door handle and I hesitate to open it.
I take a deep breath and then knock. I knock and then open the door.

I see Jeremiah and he isn't in his usual suits. Instead he's wearing jeans, with a long sleeve grey shirt.
He turns and looks at me.
"Emilia!" He widens his eyes, almost shocked that I'm actually here.
"Hello Jeremiah." I say and walk up to his desk.

"Why are you being so formal? I've missed you. You haven't been answering." Jeremiah says nervously. "I'm being so formal because I'm not here because I want to...I'm here to resign from the contract." I say and take a deep breath.

"What?? Why?? You don't need to do that." I take a deep breath, I'm not going to cry. "Yes I do Jeremiah. I thought I was going to be able to do this but I can't." My voice cracks and I cover my mouth.
"I thought I didn't need more from you but I soon realized that I wanted more from you but you don't." I say and my eyes begin to water.

"You don't have to leave me, you'll get used to it. This always happens." He grabs my hands and I move away and start crying.
"I'll never get used to this Jeremiah!" I take a deep breath.
"I love you, and you don't feel the same way! I can't do this Jeremiah!" I wipe my eyes and take a deep breath.
"I can't lose you, Em." He says and I look at him.

"Fight for me then!! If you truly can't lose me then prove you want me as more than a sex toy!" I say and he just looks into my eyes.

He stays quiet for what seems like forever. "You've proven my point! I'll come by your house tomorrow to get my stuff and then I'm done." I say and head for the door.

I walk out and take a deep breath.
"If it isn't the little whore." I hear and I turn my head. "Excuse me?" I ask and I see a woman looking at me. A few years older than me. You can tell she has had plastic surgery.
"You heard me, you stole him from me." The lady walks up to me, "I'm sorry but I don't know what you are talking about."

I head for the elevator, "You stole Jeremiah from me you little whore." She says from behind me.
I laugh loudly in her face. "You're his ex wife?" She smiles, "Well if you want him...then have him! I could give less than a shit. You two are pathetic...you deserve each other." I say closely to her face.

Soon the elevator doors open and I walk in, leaving her speechless.
I take a deep breath and the elevator doors close and I immediately break down.

Today was the first time I admitted to him and myself that I love him.
I hear the elevator ding and I wipe my eyes as fast as I can and the doors open.
People walk in and I smile weakly at them.

"Emilia?" I hear and I turn my head and laugh. "Issac?" He chuckles, "Wow you sure got used to the job! Look at you." I grin at him as I see him in a full suit and he nods. "Yeah I did!" I nod, "You look good and that you mean business." I say and he chuckles.
"Thanks, it's been a while since we've talked."
I nod, "Yeah it has. Its good to see you." I smile and the doors open, "Text me sometime." I say and walk out.

I get home and take a deep breath. I walk into my room and Nick isn't here. I guess he left, I take off my cardigan and then lay down on my bed.
I feel like shit!!! I cover my face with my arms and groan.
I know this was the right thing to do but why does it hurt so much.

Leaving him was the right thing to do, for me. Physically and mentally.

I hear a knock on the door and I groan. If it's Zendaya or Nick, they have a key. Or they'll call if they don't.

I'm so done with everything.
Theres knocking again and I groan. I get up and run to the door and swing it open.
No one is here, I look down and there's a box, nicely wrapped.
I pick it up and slam the door closed.

I place it on the table, fuck that shit is heavy.
I see a white envelope on top and in cursive my name written.

I toss it to the side and unwrap the box and it's top lid comes off. I laugh and cover my mouth.
It's a record player. Then I see something on the side and grab it. I start to cry, it's records. The Smiths to be exact, they are my favorite band of all time.
I then look at the envelop and open it.

My dear Emilia,
It's your grandfather. I had this gift sent to you as a congratulations for making it to business school. Sorry I haven't been around, you know how your parents can be.
I know the Smiths are your favorite and that was the time I was young.
Luckily I have saved this and I know its in good hands forever.
I hope to see you soon my sweet Emilia.
I love you and congratulations.
Love,
Grandpa Jose

I laugh and smile. The only person in my life who has ever shown me love.
The only great father figure in my life.
This is just what I needed to end the day on a happy note.