Chapter 7

Chapter 7

This chapter is dedicated to my amazing friend @1d_lover_forever_yay because she's always been there for me. <3 Whoever can comment the sweetest comment gets a dedication. x

-

Their conversation consumes my mind. Every word of it. I want to tell someone but I can't. Every time I try my mind shuts down like a broken robot. I definitely cannot tell Jen about it. It will totally break her. I definitely cannot tell Sam, he is already distraught about Jen not remembering him.

In general, I just cannot trust anybody. I sit at the corner of Jennifer's still bed and just think. I haven't eaten in about a day, because all I can do it throw it back up. I haven't slept in about two days, because my thoughts scream louder than Jen having nightmares.

I can't do anything about it. I can't go over there and comfort her at all. I don't want Matt to hurt me, or her. All I can do is ask if she's ok, and then obviously she lies and then tries to sleep again.

Sam hasn't come back yet. He's been working on set, trying to get everything back together.

I desperately need someone to talk to. I feel so empty and lonely. I need a friend. Someone who will understand. Someone who has been through it all.

Then the idea clicks into my head.

I quickly shuffle out of the room, dialling the familiar numbers on my bright iPhone screen. After about four rings, they pick up.

I sigh of relief when I finally hear her voice. "Josh, honey, are you ok?" my mother asks.

"No, Mum. I actually really need to talk to someone right now."

"Oh, sweetie, I'm always here for you. You know that," she says softly.

"Yeah, I know that."

I can hear her soft but shaky breaths as I walk out to the front of the hospital.

"Is everything alright, Josh?" she asks after a while.

"No. I just...I...it's complicated." I honestly don't know how to break this to her. I don't know what I should do or how she will react. "So I've been sleeping on the couch in Jen's room ever since I got here to show her some support. But one morning I heard..." I swallow down the bile in remembrance.

"Yes?" she urges on.

"I heard her boyfriend Matt and this boy Rhett talking. They thought I was asleep. It turns out Rhett set fire to the set.They're planning to kill me and her. And I can't tell anybody. So I called you."

She doesn't say anything for a while and I stand up pacing around worriedly. I listen to her unsteady breathing for what seems like ages.

"Joshua," she finally says. "I can't say anything but to report Matt and Rhett. I love you and Jen and I know you love Jen and you can't let this happen."

"I know, Mum, but I can't just tell someone. It'll be all over the news and you know how Jennifer feels about her privacy," I say, raising my voice.

"I know, Josh. I really do think you should report them but if you think that keeping it in is what's best, then I trust your judgement."

I nod, but realise she can't hear me so I just don't say anything. I run my hand through my hair while kicking a random pebble I find on the sidewalk.

"Mum?"

"Yes, Josh?"

"Thank you. I love you. I wouldn't ask for any other mum in the world."

"I love you, too, Josh. And I wouldn't ask for any other son in the world," she says softly.

I love the bond me and my mum have. I love how I can come to her for possibly anything and she will always support me. Now if only she were here with me right now.

That's when the line clicks dead and I know I am on my own again.