Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear me, happy birthday to me.

And many more, on channel four, and scooby doo on channel two, and a big fat lady on channel 80.

Singing that over and over again makes me feel a bit better. At least I'm not a big fat lady on channel 80. My stomach aches, and I walk into the hospital.

Ever since my grandpa died in a hospital, I've hated being in them. My grandpa and I were tight, we loved each other. We loved to hang out with each other.

We would share laughs and jokes. I would laugh at his cheesy ones and he would laugh at my stupid ones.

He would ask me about Jen and I would tell him everything. He would give me advice and tips, and I really appreciated them.

But now he's not here, and I wish he was so I could ask him for advice.

I check in and go to Jen's room. Even if she doesn't want to see me I need to talk to her. I need to tell her I wasn't lying.

I need to talk to her, to feel her touch, to know she's ok. When I walk in her face is tear stained. She looks up at me with angry eyes.

"Josh, you lied to me!" she yells.

"No I didn't," I say. I go to sit next to her.

"I hate you!" she screams and slaps me on the cheek. "Go away I never want to see you again."

"Jen, I didn't lie to you. Matt lied to you."

"I don't want you to ever talk to me or see me again. Now go away."

I nod sadly, holding back painful tears and walk out of the room. That's when I see him. Talking with a brown haired boy.

I lunge at him, grabbing him by the neck and punching him square in the face.

"You son of a bitch! You never touch Jennifer again. You tried to kill her. You can kill me but you can never lay your finger on her."

Matt looks shocked, almost scared. But then a low rumble escapes his mouth. "She's mine. And you will die," he says deathly soft so the bunches of people looking at us won't hear.

I punch him once again, knocking him to the ground. I am on top of him as I punch him repeatedly. Matt turns and then lands on top of me, beating the living shit out of me.

That's when I'm knocked out cold.

***

"Josh," a foggy voice says. "Josh, wake up."

I can all of a sudden feel my veins racing through my body and my heart starts to beat faster. All the bones in my body are cold and I shiver as my eyes open.

"Mum?" I breathe.

"Oh, Joshua," she says. She leans down to kiss my forehead. "You look awful."

I sit up, and I'm in a bed. A hospital bed. Oh great. I turn my head to see Connor and Dad talking about something. That is until they notice I'm up and walk over to me.

"Ooh, Josh got into his first big boy fight," Connor mocks.

"Hush, Connor."

"Over a giiiiiirl," he singsongs.

I grab his head and put him in a headlock, running my knuckles back and forth on his hair. He squeals and tells me to let him go. "Then stop making fun of me."

"Josh, let go of Connor, Connor, stop making fun of Josh," Dad tells us.

"Fine," Connor huffs.

"Josh, what happened? We've always taught you not to get into fights," Dad says.

"I know. I just got so angry. He tried to kill Jennifer, Dad. Then he threatened to kill me."

"Honey, we know Matthew. He would never do that. He is a very nice kid."

"He did!" I say defensively. I can't believe they won't believe their own son when he almost got killed.

"Josh, get some rest. I think you need it," Mum says.

"Are you telling me I imagined it? Mum, I even called you!" I yell.

"I'm sorry, Joshua, but I think your father is right. Matthew would never do that."

"Mum!" I yell. I turn around in my pillow and grunt. I can't believe this.

"Bye, Josh. Happy birthday. I love you," Mum says.

"Come on, Connor."

"Hey, Mum, can I stay with Josh?"

"Of course. Just text us if you need anything." And then they're gone.

Connor grins at me evilly. "Oh what, you here to make my day 10 times worse than it already is?" I say.