)( Chapter Twenty Three )(

“Liza, I fear for you safety.”

                Young Felicity stirred from her bed at the sound of a man’s voice. Her father was away helping their neighbor with a haul a few towns away. He wouldn’t be back for a few more days. Curiously, young Felicity slipped out of bed and padded her way down the picture lined hall.

                “Please, come with me, pack some things for you and the girl, I’ll find you safe lodgings.” The strange man’s voice sounded desperate and pleading.

                “I can’t.” Her mother’s voice was strong and unwavering. “Felicity is by blood and rite an heir to the throne. She is a noble among World Nobles. We cannot run away.”

                “I thought you didn’t like the politics of it all, Your Majesty, isn’t that why you escaped?”

                “At first, yes. But now… I want her to live among the people she will one day govern. I want her to learn the hardships her people face, to live on the land as they do, to appreciate the simple things in life.” She could hear the smile in her mother’s voice.

                “I cannot ignore the plots against you-.”

                “You’re no longer my knight, Drake. You are a marine, you owe me no fealty.”

                The Heart Pirates made their way into town. Felicity trailed along in Law’s wake looking around excitedly at all the new sights. When she was under her uncle’s care she didn’t get to leave the palace much and when she did it was only so she could see the darkest parts of society. Her bright sea prism stone eyes were wide in wonder as she stared at the various shops, cafes and even the patrons buzzing about.

                Noticing the fairy like girl’s amazement, the captain slowed his pace so she could see everything better. The archipelago seemed filled to the brim with energy. There were a lot of big name rookies gathering at once. Law looked to the fairy like girl in concern. If things took a sour turn would he be able to protect her?

                People bustled past busily. Wary eyes followed them, but it was the curious eyes of the pirates and other lowlifes lingering on the fairy like girl that had the captain on edge. She was a constant beacon of light, she radiated life and purity. Sun beams spilled through the gaps in the mangroves above turning her hair to liquid silver with brilliant streaks of spun gold. All eyes were on her. Everyone was consumed by her beauty, enraptured by her heavenly smile, and helplessly captivated by her mesmerizing sea glass eyes.

                “Look, Mommy! A princess.” A naïve child cried in the middle of the street pointing at the breathtaking girl.

                More people turned to stare as the Heart Pirates made their way into town. Law took a step closer to the fairy like girl. His hand gently rested on the small of her back and attempted to draw her away from the crowd. Felicity inhaled sharply at the pleasurable burn of his touch upon the sensitive skin on her lower back. His hand fit perfectly in the slight dip dangerously close to her bottom. Heat seeped from his fingertips and burned her to the core.

                “Captain?” Her voice was somewhat breathless.

                “We have some time to kill.” Law grumbled tonelessly as he led the fairy like girl to a nearby café.

                “What are you-?” Felicity cut off as the captain nudged her toward one of the outdoor tables on the patio.

                “You didn’t eat this morning.” He noted casually as he took a seat on a nearby crate just beyond the small wrought iron half fence sectioning off the patio from the bustling street. The table he’d stationed her at was just out of view enough that she wouldn’t draw too much attention and his seat gave him a decent vantage point of the other pirates heading into town from the groves they were most likely to dock at.