Blurring The Lines [boyxboy]

I peeked around the front seat of the car, scowling. I wished my dad would drive faster. If he sped up just a bit more, flinging myself out of the car might actually kill me.

                Unfortunately, he slowed down even more as he turned onto a campus. The buildings scattered around it were sturdily built, the paths cutting through the grass neatly paved. A few kids scurried down them, running late for class.

                Dad checked the time. "That traffic didn't make us too late. It's a good thing we left early."

                Mom was peering out of the window. "It's such a lovely campus."

                It could be the loveliest campus in the whole world. I still didn't want to be here.

                Dad parked the car and he and mom got out. I wondered if they would forget about me, but then mom knocked on my window, shattering my hopes and dreams once again.

                I pushed the car door open and slowly got out of the car, leaning heavily on my cane. My leg was stiff from the drive, and I tried to stretch it out.

                "Take your time," mom said, pulling my schoolbag out of the car and handing it to me.

                I slid it on over my shoulders and walked up and down the sidewalk a bit, easing my leg. Dad kept checking the time, so I gave up stalling and started towards the admission building.

                My parents hurried to catch up to me and the three of us entered the building. There was a woman sitting at a desk who looked up as we approached.

                "Hello, checking in?" she asked.

                "Just sight-seeing," I said, wincing my dad elbowed me in the ribs.

                "Kai Humphrey," he supplied for me.

                The woman typed away at her laptop. "Blue?"

                "Yea," I said, looking down at my plain clothes in despair. I'd have to trade them in for the blue vested uniform of the Academy.

                The Academy was split by colors. The kids that were here for a strong education and to become well-rounded students wore blue vests. The kids who were sent here because they were delinquents or toeing that line wore maroon vests.

                And this is where my parents decided to send me. Fantastic. I couldn't even outrun a Maroon student if they decided to kill me.

                The woman printed out several papers and set them on the desk, sliding a pen to me. "I'll need you and your parents to sign those papers. I'll grab your I.D. and room assignment."

                She stood up and left the desk, going over to a filing cabinet. I slowly signed my name on the lines of the papers, watching the letters form and seal my fate here.

                My dad took the pen from me and signed the papers next, passing the pen off to my mom who also signed. She set the pen down and squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

                "It'll be good for you to start over," she said, voice quiet. "This place will be a good chance for you, Kai."

                I didn't want to start over. I didn't want to come to some fancy Academy that also housed troublemakers. I wanted to go home and take a nap and not wake up until I was old enough to retire.