Blurring The Lines {12}

Jordan didn't talk to me as I entered the room. He just kept working on his homework, pretending I didn't exist.

                I put my headphones in and played music, playing games on my phone to kill time. I'd stopped to get dinner before heading back to the dorms, so I only to kill two hours until heading to the library.

                I don't know why Jin had such a specific schedule for me, but it was best to just play along for now. Once things settled, maybe I could slip out of his deal and let him handle the abuse here. I could play along until the Blues started to leave me alone, and then back out of the deal. Jin was right; the Blues wouldn't believe him even if he tried to sell me out for working with him.

                As it got closer to eight, I stood up with my homework. Jordan glanced over at me as I packed my bag.

                "Awkward silence is great and everything, but I'm going to head to the library. Feel free to come beat the shit out of me and expect that to solve your problems," I said, leaving the dorm before he could respond to that.

                I left the dorm building and went down to the library. I took the elevator to the basement and went back into the room I'd been in yesterday, looking around.

                It was abandoned, so I took up a desk at the end of the room and pulled out the homework I hadn't been able to focus on in the Peer Program. I was tempted to put my headphones on, but I wanted to know if anyone came into the room. If I got caught off guard now, I'd be in a lot of trouble. There was no one in here to save me this time.

                So I kept my headphones out and I got to work, occasionally glancing up to see if anyone had come in without me noticing. But as my homework pile diminished, no one came in. I had a feeling most kids studied on the higher floors of the library, where it was probably warmer and less creepy.

                By the time I'd finished my homework, it was nearly eleven. I pulled a book out of my bag and flipped it open, letting myself get lost in the pages.

                I'd done a lot of reading in the hospital after I'd been injured. It had been a nice release, a way for me to escape since I couldn't leave the hospital. Reading was really all that had kept me sane back then.

                I got wrapped up in the words I was reading, my mind disappearing into the fictional world I held in my hands. It was nice to escape my situation. Nice to imagine myself as a hero with two working legs and magic all around me.

                I might've read in the library all night if my phone hadn't vibrated. It startled me out of my reading and I set my book down, picking up the phone.

                It was three minutes to midnight, and it had just been a notification to update one of my apps. I hastily shoved the book in my bag and left the room, winding down the hallways and taking the elevator up.

                I didn't see anyone as I left the library. It was open until one in the morning, but I doubted most people stayed there much past ten.

                Once I was out of the library, I stepped off the walking path and looked around. I would've completely missed Jin if he hadn't to stand up right as my eyes scanned over the area he'd been sitting at.

                "Wow, he actually came," Karson said, getting to his feet. "Why are we bringing him again? This is a pretty bad idea, even for you, Jin."