Blurring The Lines {18}

I found myself checking the time anxiously as it got later. I'd run up to the café and gotten myself another coffee, knowing I'd need it to stay awake.

                When it neared midnight, I snuck out of the library and off the path, where Jin, Karson, and Isaac all were. Jin was sitting against a tree, chewing on a straw.

                "Where are Lev and Amelia?" I asked.

                "Amelia's probably eloping with a laptop," Karson said, wincing as Jin kicked him in the back of the ankle.

                "They'll be here," Jin said.

                I sat down, stretching my leg out so it could rest a bit. I noticed Jin had an earphone in, the other dangling down against his shirt, music just barely drifting out.

                He noticed me looking and shrugged, offering the free one to me. I took it and shifted a little closer so I could listen to the music.

                "-when you bitch, counterfeit hypocrite holy shit. Once upon a time in a land far away, there lived a little boy and he cried all day."

                I raised an eyebrow at Jin. "You're so fucking angsty."

                Karson looked down at us and laughed. "You don't have to live with Jin. He loves his angsty music. Probably used to drink and slit his wrists to it back home."

                "Alcohol isn't even good," Isaac said, making a face. "My mom lets me try her wine at dinner sometimes and my dad's let me try his beer before. It's all gross."

                "I recommend vodka," Jin said. "If you really hate yourself, though, a few shots of tequila will really make you miserable."

                "Oh, especially the cheap stuff," Karson said in disgust. "When I was younger, that shitbag brother of mine got his hands on this $10 bottle of tequila and I gagged it down and didn't try tequila again for two years."

                "My dad kept top shelf liquor," Jin said. "Got into his Everclear a few times. One time my mom woke me up and I was lying in the basement in my own puke with absolutely no memory of how it happened."

                "The mind eraser," Karson said fondly. "My dad got drunk off it a few times. Always swore he'd never have it again during his hangover. Always went back to it when it was offered to him."

                "Why do you drink? It doesn't sound fun," Isaac said. "My parents never feel good after they drink at their work parties."

                "I hardly drink. Just some teen experimenting with my dad's stash," Karson said. "Alcohol is Jin's thing. His parents got his name right, that's for sure."

                "It's Jin with a J, not gin with a g," Jin said. "Besides, I don't drink anymore."

                "What about you, crip?" Karson nudged me with his foot. "You a drinker?"

                "No," I said. "I've only tried drinks my parents made. I don't care for alcohol."

                "Sorry we're late," Lev said, coming into view with Amelia following him. "We lost track of time. Amelia was trying to update her laptop."

                "Update, elope. Close enough," Karson said.

                Jin stood up, taking his earphones from me and stuffing them into his pocket. He held his hand out to me and helped me to my feet. I steadied myself with my cane, and the six of us started off towards the academic building.