Blurring The Lines {21}

Jin and I sat side by side, thighs touching together but no words spoken between us. Whatever Headmaster Constance had done to Jin, Jin needed time to clear his head from it.

                So he sat with his head bent low, an earphone in one ear. The other one was in my ear as we listened to his music together in the silence and solitude of the library.

                If anyone walked in here, it would be easy for us to jump apart. But no one had come in yet, and it'd been nearly an hour since we'd kissed.

                Jin picked his head up. "He was right."

                "Who?" I said, looking over at him.

                "Headmaster Constance," he said. "He told me my dad would never forgive what I'd done. He was right. My dad won't. Headmaster Constance also said I'd broken myself too much to ever have a healthy relationship with anyone. He said I'd never fix the relationship with my parents, or have friends I cared for. But I don't think he was right about that. I think someday..." He shrugged. "Not today. But someday."

                "Where are the others?" I asked. If Headmaster Constance had put Jin in this state, I couldn't even imagine what the others were like. Jin was used to repressing his emotions to handle this kind of situation. The others weren't.

                "Dealing with it," he said, shrugging. "It's their problem, not mine."

                "You're an asshole, you know that?" I said.

                He stood up. "I don't need Karson causing problems for me. I'm going to go make sure he hasn't killed anyone."

                I got up and followed him out of the library. He didn't say anything, but he slowed his pace so I could keep up with him.

                The two of us walked off the path so we wouldn't be spotted together. We reached Jin's dorm and he took us in through the side door, leaving me to go take the elevator up.

                He was waiting outside his room when I reached it. He shoved the door open and we went inside together.

                "He returns," Karson said. "And he brought the crip with him."

                Jin kicked the door shut. "Let me guess, Headmaster Constance said shit about your parents and your brother and now you're feeling homicidal."

                Karson leapt off his bed and shoved Jin. "Mind your own business."

                Jin just stared at him with that impassive expression. "You're my roommate. If you go on a rage, I'll get dragged into trouble too."

                "You'll be fine," Karson said, backing off, just a bit. "Besides, you can just drink your troubles away."

                Jin gestured to the mini fridge in their room. "All I have is water."

                "I want to hit Headmaster Constance too," Karson said, and his voice was angry. "I want to drag this whole damn Academy to hell."

                "What threat did he use on you?" Jin asked.

                Karson grinned, a cold look. "If I keep this up, he'll call my dad. And then he'll call my brother."