Blurring The Lines {10}

I left the Peer Program and made my way to the library. I thought about spending my time in the café, but I didn't want anyone coming over and dumping their drink on me.

                So I checked the map of the library, trying to determine where the quietest place would be. There was a basement level that had book shelves, rooms for group work, and rooms for silent solo work.

                I limped my way to the elevator and took it down to the basement level. Here, there were no windows and probably not a lot of students. I could hide out here for most of the night to catch a break from Jordan and the other Blues.

                The hallways in the basement were cold, and a little creepy. They were dimly lit and pretty narrow, with heavy doors that led off into different sections. There were signs taped up on the wall to help students navigate the maze of hallways, and I followed them until I emerged into an area lined with bookshelves.

                It was quiet, only two other students moving about through it. I ducked behind one of the shelves, realizing that one of the students was Lev.

                But he was focused on searching for a book, his finger gliding over titles. I left out a side door and emerged into a quiet sitting room.

                There were rows of desks separated by thin walls, and a few old couches and chairs at the end of the room so kids could sit and read comfortable. I moved down the rows of desks and sat down at one, putting my bag on the ground and taking a notebook out of it.

                I looked around, mentally groaning as I spotted Jin at one of the other desks. He was leaning back in his chair, hat tipped up and book in his hands. If he'd noticed me entering, he didn't show up. His eyes stayed on the words of his book, chewing on his straw as he flicked the page.

                I turned around and flipped my notebook open, getting to work on an assignment due next week. It was quiet down here, the two of us the only one in this part. The basement was freezing, but I liked the silence and the smell of old books that lingered in the air.

                I found myself able to sink into the work. I found all the schoolwork pointless, but it was nice to have a distraction after the mess today had been.

                My leg was still sore from taking the stairs in the dining hall. Shit, if they kept doing that to me, I might just have to be their spy. My leg would give out if I took those stairs too often.

                Time in the library passed peacefully. I heard the sounds of Jin turning the pages of his book, and the sound of my pencil scratching out letters on the paper. Every once in a while, the air conditioner would kick in and give a little hum as it worked. The sounds were relaxing, and it was easy to lose myself here.

                I heard the door opening, but paid it no mind. I was surprised Jin and I had managed to be the only two people in here for so long, anyways. As long as the new person here was quiet, I didn't care.

                "Well, look who it is."

                Goddammit.

                I looked up from my notebook. Two Blues were standing there, watching me. One of them was Ryan, which instantly made me nervous. He'd been ready to break Karson's nose. What would he do to me?

                "Not surprised you're hiding out here with Amano," Ryan said, nodding towards Jin.

                I looked over, but Jin wasn't paying any attention to us. He was still reading the book, calmly turning the page. He had to hear Ryan since we were so close, but his face was expressionless and he didn't acknowledge us at all.