Blurring The Lines {4}

My mood was awful the next day. Even Jordan kept our conversation short and polite as we made our way to class.

                I had no interest in going to this stupid Peer Program after class today. But I also had no interest in getting sent to Headmaster Constance's office to have a meeting with him and my parents. Mr. Constance made it seem like that would be a lot more trouble than it sounded.

                I was glad that my mood was keeping people away from me. Jordan didn't bother inviting me to eat with him and his friends at lunch, so I got to sit alone and simmer in my anger.

                By the time classes were over, I was ready to fling myself into space to suffocate to death and float endlessly through the universe.

                I pulled the crumpled piece of paper out of my bag and checked it for the room number. I packed away my stuff and limped off down the hallway, searching for the room.

                I found it and pushed the door open, stepping inside, dreading what I would see. Would it be a gang of Maroons holding some poor Blue student hostage?

                But apparently I just watched way too much TV. When I stepped into the room, there was only one person in there.

                He looked up at me from where he was sitting. He had a Maroon vest on, but his expression was curious, not hostile.

                "Peer Program?" I asked.

                He nodded and smiled. "I heard we were getting a new kid in the group. I'm Lev."

                "I didn't ask," I said, going over to a desk and sitting down at it.

                He frowned, but had the intelligence not to press the conversation. I had no interest in making friends here, and it sounded like the teachers wouldn't give me a hard time over not talking to the Maroons. I'd just have to pretend to have a few conversations with the Blue student in the group and hope I could convince the teacher I was a social butterfly who deserved freedom from this torture.

                The door opened again and I couldn't decide if I wanted to punch myself or punch the boy entering the room. I recognized him from my first day here.

                He noticed me and his eyes lit up behind his glasses. "Crip!"

                The asshole who'd kicked my cane in the dining hall. I glared at him as his expression grew more amused.

                "Karson!" Lev groaned.

                Karson laughed. "Oh, calm down, Lev. Crip and I here have a blooming friendship going. I see I was right about the blue vest."

                He stepped towards the desks and I realized there was someone behind him. Not just someone, but the boy from the market.

                He had his hat on, white hair tumbling out from under it. He didn't bother a glance at me, his face as impassive as it had been the last time I'd seen him.

                "I can't believe the crip is the new guy Kean was talking about," Karson said, still amused by this horrible turn of fate.

                "You're going to be a nightmare, aren't you?" Lev said, glaring at Karson.

                "He always is," the white haired boy said. He surprised me by punching Karson in the back of the head with quite a bit of force. "Shut up. I've never heard the word 'crip' so much in my life and we haven't in been in here for two minutes."