Blurring The Lines {13}

I woke up early the next morning with my leg in so much pain that I had to bury my face against my pillow to hide my whimpers. After a few minutes of trying to stretch it out a little, I got out of bed and leaned heavily on my cane as I gathered my shower stuff.

                I went down to the showers and washed myself, legging the warm water ease my leg a bit. I slumped against the wall of the shower, turning the temperature up, wishing I could burn the whole damn leg.

                I closed my eyes, running my hands through my wet hair, feeling my anger crashing through every inch of my body. My body would never be the same. My leg would never work right. Sometimes I wonder if it would've been better if they'd just amputated the damn thing.

                Opening my eyes, I glared down at my leg, at the scars decorating it, at the off angle it settled at. I slowly curled my toes, hating the way they twitched in the process.

                Tears welled in my eyes and I wasn't sure if the water rolling down my cheeks was from me or the shower.

                I shut the water off and grabbed my towel, wiping my face off, swallowing my frustration. I would always be Kai the cripple. Kai the poor boy. Kai the tragedy. Kai who lost his future.

                I wrapped the towel around my waist and left the shower, going into my room and getting dressed. Jordan was up, digging through his closet for his shower things.

                "You were gone all night," he said, standing up.

                "Well, mom, if you want to know, I was in the library so I could avoid you," I snapped. "Should I ask you for permission next time? Text you hourly updates?"

                He pursed his lips and left the room without another word. I pulled my shoes on, slung my bag over my shoulder, and left the dorm building.

                The trip to the academic building was slow. I had to keep stopping to rest my leg, afraid it would give out and I would fall. I didn't need that added embarrassment on top of everything else that had gone horribly wrong at the Academy.

                By the time I reached the academic building, I gave in and went to Mr. Townsend's class early. If I sat down on the benches in the hallway, I didn't think I'd ever want to get up again.

                Mr. Townsend looked up as I came in. He was typing on his laptop, but he stopped as I took my seat.

                "I'm not helping you with anything, so don't even bother asking," I said, stretching my leg out and leaning my cane against my desk.

                His phone vibrated on his desk and he answered it. "Hello? This isn't a very good time, Emmett. I'm at work. My class starts soon." He was silent for a moment as he listened. "I have a meeting after work. Call your brother. He can help you." He leaned back in his chair. "Well, then you can just figure it out yourself. I'm busy with work, so either you call Beckett or you remain clueless. I have to go."

                He hung up his phone and set it back on his desk, typing at his laptop. He looked up at me after a minute.

                "That was my son," he said.

                "Good for you," I said.

                "My boys are both stubborn," he said. "They were students here." His expression darkened a bit. "I highly urge you to befriend the Blue students. The Maroons are nothing but trouble. I see you're having some problems here, but it'll be much easier if you just make friends with your own classmates."