Blurring The Lines {9}

The next morning, I showered and got dressed. Jordan left the room without a word to me, bag slung over his shoulder.

                I couldn't tell if that made me relieved or nervous. I had a feeling he was silently punishing me for not cooperating with him and his friends yesterday, but at the same time, it meant I didn't have to deal with him.

                So I walked to class by myself, keeping my head down as I went. I didn't want to meet anyone's eyes. I just wanted to get through this day and go hide away in the library.

                I'd spent most of last night in the library's café, working on an essay for class. I'd reluctantly gone back to my room when it got dark, but by then, Jordan was already lying in bed with his headphones on, typing away at his laptop and ignoring me.

                I entered the academic building and took my seat. The other students entered the room, talking with each other and laughing.

                Jordan was talking to Mr. Townsend, a polite smile on his face. Mr. Townsend nodded at whatever Jordan said, and he went and sat down at his seat, whispering something to Lenny with a smug grin.

                Mr. Townsend waited until it was time for class to start before clapping his hands together to get our attention. We all looked up at him and he gathered some worksheets off his desk.

                "Everyone partner up," he said. "We'll be doing group exercises to make sure you understood yesterday's lesson."

                Kids shifted around the room, partnering up with their friends. I sat, waiting for the inevitable moment where he'd pair me up with some random stranger.

                But when I looked up, there was no one left in the class to partner up with. Everyone was in a pair together, and I realized that they were sitting on the other side of the room. I was alone.

                Mr. Townsend took in the sight with knowing eyes. "Would anyone allow Kai to join their group?"

                No one offered. They just stared at me and I felt myself blushing in anger and embarrassment. My eyes found Jordan, who looked smug again.

                Mr. Townsend shrugged it off and passed out the papers. He handed me my paper last.

                "I suppose you'll be working alone," he said.

                "I'm not exactly heartbroken over it," I said, not bothering to keep my voice down.

                But that wasn't entirely true. It's not that I was best friends with any of them, but it was still embarrassing. I knew what Jordan was doing, and I was trying to shake it off, but I still felt my face heating up every time I saw the distance between me and them.

                I bent my head and worked on the worksheet in front of me. I didn't pick my head up and tried to ignore their voices as they talked amongst themselves. I heard my name mumbled a few times, but I kept my head down and didn't give them the satisfaction of my irritation.

                When class let out, they all cut me off as I tried to head out the door. I grit my teeth, but stepped aside until they were gone before heading out.

                The next two classes were similar. Kids shifted their desks away from me, snickering as they whispered to each other and stared at me. The teachers seemed to pick up on it quickly, and made no moves to stop their students from treating me like this.