Blurring The Lines {11}

I had trouble sleeping that night, mostly because I was paranoid that Jordan was going to do something to me. But the night passed without him drawing a dick on my face in permanent marker or releasing spiders in my bed.

                I showered and got dressed, hurrying out of the building before Jordan got back from his shower. I slowly took the path to the academic building, finding a quiet place to sit inside.

                Students walked by, none of them seeming to notice me. I scrolled through my phone until it was time for class, getting up and heading to Mr. Townsend's room.

                I wasn't even surprised as kids moved their desks away from mine, leaving me isolated again. I kept my head down as Mr. Townsend started his lecture, feeling the stares of the other students on me. I wanted to tell myself they'd get bored of it eventually, but I also knew the truth was that they'd keep persisting.

                Still, I'd thought it over last night and come to my decision. This Academy was a seriously fucked up place.

                The first three classes of the day were fairly quiet. Kids isolated me and whispered about me, but no actively tried anything.

                When we were let out for lunch, I wasn't even surprised to see the elevator blocked again as I reached the dining hall. My leg was aching and I had no desire to attempt climbing the stairs again.

                So instead, I turned and left the dining hall, heading down to the market. I bought myself a snack and sat outside alone, nibbling at my snack. I couldn't keep this up every day. But hopefully I wouldn't have to by tomorrow.

                "Some fresh start," I muttered, stretching out my bad leg.

                When it was time to head back to class, I limped my way there and took my seat. I tried not to pay attention to Ryan as he entered the room and lingered by my desk.

                Jordan came in and Ryan stopped him. "Hey, Jordan, did you know your roommate's got a Maroon as a bodyguard now?"

                "Hey, Ryan, did you know Jordan's roommate has functional ears?" I said. "If you're going to call me out, just do it."

                Ryan stepped towards me but Jordan grabbed his arm and shook his head. "He's still a Blue, Ryan."

                "Hardly," Ryan said, glaring at me.

                "It's high school," I said, feeling exhausted. "I promise ten years from now, you won't give a shit that a kid you knew for a few months didn't help you get invited to a fancy party."

                "Ten years from now I expect to be in a good position because of the Academy's connections," Ryan said, smacking my cane to the floor.

                "Let's go sit. He'll get it soon enough," Jordan said, dragging Ryan away.

                I picked my cane up and leaned it against my desk. Damn, someone was a drama king.

                The last three classes passed with that same isolation. But I was mostly worried about the lunch period. I was screwed if they kept blocking off the elevator. I could always tell someone on them, but I had a feeling they'd just charm their way out of it.

                I made my way down to the Peer Program, taking my seat and ignoring Lev. I watched as the others trickled into the room, none of them paying attention to me as they talked and took their usual seats.